Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best hotel choice in Cambria or San Luis Obispo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Patrick

We will be traveling through the California Central coast area in late October and plan on staying in either Cambria or SLO. We've heard good things about Apple Farm Inn. Has anyone stayed there - or are there other/better options in the area? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Trying

Don't know your budget needs, but check out the Blue Dolphin Inn, along the ocean at Cambria. Stayed here a few years ago, a nice little inn. I assume it still is.
Check out www.cambriahotels.com for several other choices. Cambria and SLO will be completely different. SLO is more inland, more commercial, college town, etc. Cambria "charming" ocean side, etc.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 04:52 PM
hal

The Apple Farm is "charming" with great restaurant. The Blue Dolphin is good choice, too. Blue Dolphin is across the street from beach where a beautiful sun sets. Apple Farm is on the outskirts of SLO, would need to drive to downtown hub.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Becky

Apple Farm is cutsie & all, worth an afternoon browse, but by no means my idea of an apple farm, which I do not picture in the middle of town. But it is very popular. I enjoyed staying on Moonstone Beach Road, which is on the ocean side of the main highway. Specifically, I stayed at Best Western Moonstone Beach Inn. Very large, very nicely decorated in a country style. Free contintal breakfast and afternoon drinks/snax. But the best was crossing the street and walking the bluffs and trails, watching all the sea lions do their thing. Very picturesque! The town of Cambria is on the land side, nice for spending time.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Becky

...that was the ROOMS that were very large.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:55 PM
kam

Apple Farm Inn is cute and fun and a great place to stay in San Luis, however, any hotel on Moonstone Beach in Cambria is preferable. Moonstone Beach is lovely and the town of Cambria has nice little restaurants.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Tom

The Apple Farm Inn is in my opinion over-rated. Basically just an over-priced coffee shop. Full of tourists, but you won't find any of the locals there. Like another poster pointed out, it's closer to the university and not really an option to walk downtown.

While I'd recommend stopping in SLO for an afternoon, I'd opt on staying in Cambria.

But I guess before making a suggestion on lodging, I'd recommend letting us know your age and who you're traveling with. If it's a couple friends traveling and young in age, SLO might be a preference since it's a college town and offers more nightlife than Cambria. But if you're looking for a quaint, romantic town, then Cambria is it.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Tracy

I recommend staying on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. We have stayed at the Fog Catcher Inn which has great midweek rates at that time of year. Last October we arrived without a reservation and were able to get a very large, nicely appointed room for under $80/night. We have also stayed at the San Simeon Pines on Moonstone Beach which is a little more rustic, but fun with its own Par 3 golf course.

Old Feb 11th, 2015, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are also looking to stay in the SLO area while traveling north to SF from SD. Presently have a reservation at the Quality Inn & Suites in San Luis Obispo for 2 nights in late Sept. Wanted to use it as a base to visit Hearst Castle/Paso Roblos area/and SLO. However, after reading all of the above forums am unsure if we made a correct decision on our stay. Am now looking at the BW Cavalier Oceanfront in Cambria. I think we should stay more centrally located, so not to backtract our steps after visiting the Hearst Castle enroute to Monterey. I think we would prefer staying by the ocean vs. a college town. Wanted to make reservation at the Blue Dolphin Inn but already sold out. Any other sugggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
NUNZIMIA: This thread is 14 years old.

Instead of topping a thread that is practically from the the last century -- you will do better to start a thread of your own w/ your own specific questions.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stay by the ocean in Cambria.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:19 AM

On the other hand, do NOT stay by the ocean in Cambria, or any where else in that town. Stick to your plan to stay in SLO.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:20 AM

On the other hand, do NOT stay by the ocean in Cambria, or any where else in that town. Stick to your plan to stay in SLO.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:23 AM

Sorry for the double post. But that makes it twice as valid!
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 12:28 PM

dbdurand - Why do you so strongly suggest that NUNZIMIA not stay in Cambria?
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 12:31 PM

That's ridiculous...definitely stay in Cambria. It's a great location if you are visiting the castle and Paso wine region. It's a bit of a haul to SLO but you could stop there on your way from San Diego if you want. It has a cute downtown but I would personally stay on the coast.