Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen Noises Off or Lion King on Broadway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Deb

Have read the many critic reviews but am looking for reviews from regular people. Thanks!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Hope

I saw Noises Off. Patti Lupone was extremely difficult to understand. It was a bit tiring and there were no surprises.

What type of play are you looking for?

Metamorphosis was wonderful. I also enjoyed Mornings at Seven and Rent.

You can get your tickets 1/2 price at the two TKTs locations.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:32 PM
tom

i saw the lion king here in los angeles this past xmas and thought it was alright. its a lot like seeing the cartoon movie done by real ppl, not much difference. i got free tickets so for me it was really worth the price, but if i had to pay for it i am not so sure i would have cared for it as much. i did enjoy les miserables a lot tho, and i am not even that into this type of entertainment.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:55 AM
lisa

Wow -- my opinion of the Lion King is waaay different than Tom's. I saw it here on Broadway and thought it was one of the freshest, newest, best shows I'd seen in a long time. The sets and costumes are amazing. Many (if not all) of the characters are portrayed by puppets or other representational items on the dancers/actors -- it's fascinating to watch. The staging and choreography is wonderful. Of course, you know the story -- that part is not really different than the cartoon. But I truly enjoyed it and wholeheartedly recommend it.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:00 AM
NYGirl

Hi,I saw Noises Off on Broadway.
Loved it! Did not see Patty Lupone so have no comparison.It was just one long good laugh from beginning to end.Nothing serious,no messages,just pure entertainment! I believe one of my favorite characters won a Tony for her part in it.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Frank

Lion King the hands down winner of the two. Creative, entertaining and good score. Noises Off, tedious, agree that Lupone was difficult to understand, and lots of slapstick. If you are not into slapstick, skip it.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:25 AM
gc

Ditto Lisa.

Lion King motivated my daughter to study set design in college.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:34 AM
klam

Loved Lion King...the hunt for weekend tickets months in advance, and re-arranging our visit to see it was definitely worth it!!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Karen

I thought Noises Off, was just terrible. I agree with Frank that you'd have to be into slapstick to enjoy it. I went with my husband and his clients (they had suggested it) and we all hated it... they were so embarased they had picked it.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:57 AM
JOYCE

My daughter and I saw Lion King in London the summer before last. We both thought it was incredible. Costumes and set design were really intriguing. I really like the music to this show. I haven't seen Noises Off so can't compare the two.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Parrot Mom

Have seen Noises Off, but not in NYC and have seen Lion King in NYC and hands down..it's Lion King.. the spectacle of the costumes and scenery make it unforgettable..it's an amazing theatrical event. Forget the critics...

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Vicki

Recently saw both of them in NY mid-April. Patti Lupone was not there the night we saw "Noises Off" and our family (parents, three teens) thought it was the funniest play we had ever seen, and with a daughter studying theatre, we've seen quite a few.

Daughter and I saw "Lion King" and yes, it was visually stunning. Had no trouble getting tix online only a few months in advance. While it was beautiful, it was not the best musical we had ever seen, both preferring the "Phantom of the Opera" touring in Vancouver BC several years ago.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Lori

We saw Lion King in London, while the costumes, visual effects were good we found the show rather boring overall. I would recommend NOT getting front row seats, this is one show where up close is not that good. We had front row, center and decided that mid-way back would have been better for this show.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:41 AM
lisa

Saw Lion King in London. My son, age 11, was determined to think it was stupid, but his jaw dropped as soon as it began, he turned to me and said, his voice filled with awe, "This is REAL theater, Mom!" We all loved it. Music was great. Puppets were amazing. Costumes fantastic. It was fascinating to see a cartoon turned into a stage play. Four thumbs up from our family!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:42 AM
just me

While the sets are cool in the Lion King, if you want to see a 'musical', see something else. The Lion King is NOT musical. It is people screaming at best. Heck, my 12 year old can scream better than their whole cast put together.

And btw, we saw it both in London AND NYC.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:01 PM
athought

justme again,
You saw it twice, so you must have thought it worthwhile???

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Judy

Another vote against Noises Off. Saw it on Bway w/Patti Lupone, and still thought it was awful--unless you happen to enjoy tiresome slapstick.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Jennifer

I have seen both. The Lion King is a great show, but I think it is made out to be a much better show then it actually is - if you are looking for a good Disney show on Broadway, go see Beauty and the Beast. Noises Off was a good play if you get the tickets at the two-for booth. DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE for this show, it's not worth it. This show should be available at the two-for booth (50% off, cash only, midtown and downtown locations, also knows as TKTS booth).