Anyone LIVE near PHL?

Search

Anyone LIVE near PHL?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone LIVE near PHL?

I am headed to PHL on Thursday and scheduled to drive to the King of Prussia area right smack in the middle of rush hour, 530pm.
I see all the forecasts say snow on Thursday but I am not sure what that means by PA standards.
Snow in the forecast in Texas means a winter advisory and mayhem on the freeways.
Can someone there tell me what it means in PA?
I am an experienced driver who has driven in Colorado in the winter... from DEN to Vail a few times.
I think I would prefer an airport shuttle to the hotel and a cab back to the a/p but my boss insists we drive. Ugh, that's a man for you... and he's from Canada to make matters worse!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
J62

The current forecast calls for snow showers. That means no accumulation is expected. You'll see fluffy stuff floating around in the air, but not enough to affect road surfaces, let alone a busy highway.

These things have a way of changing though, so be sure to watch the weather. The deep cold enroute makes a real snowstorm in the East less likely.

Here's my rough assessment. If it starts to say 1" or so accumulation expected during the day you'd still be fine - that will just be blown out of the way by traffic. It's when they call for 2" or more right around the time you're driving that it'll slow down traffic. 2-4" and it's time to stay off the roads during the height of the snowfall. It also matters what the snowfall rate is, not just the total. If it's slow then crews will be able to stay ahead of it.

Reading the current PHL forecast for Thu I wouldn't even blink an eyelash myself, but do keep an eye on it.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Hi,

I live 10 minutes from King of Prussia and yes the traffic will be awful BUT it looks the weather will be fine. I'm not aware of any snow coming and I would since I work at a supermarket!!!

So far this winter ice has been an issue not snow.

The temperature is expected to drop tomorrow and Thursday ( only in the low 20's) during the day.

Don't panic. You will be fine.

Try to stop at the King of Prussia Mall. Great shopping and dining options.

ks
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live near and work in King of Prussia. As stated, so far they are only calling for "possible snow showers"...no big deal.
Just make sure you bring WARM CLOTHING! We are expecting Arctic cold for the next few days.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Ok, since there are a few people totally qualified to do it... can someone give me detailed information on how to get from PHL to the Dolce Valley Forge Hotel on 301 West Dekalb Pike?
I have been burned by Google and Mapquest so often, and have been 'sort of' warned about the tricky exits.
If you think Google will get it right, no problem... but if you have any tips, please let me know
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Tricky exits are the biggest problem in Philadelphia!

Signs that are placed after the point at which you can merge over, arrows that point between two exits, and very poor lighting at night made Philadelphia a really difficult city in which to drive.

On three different trips, I probably got onto the wrong road at least every other day, and several of those times I had AAA and Google maps, directions from my Philadelphia friend, and a (college student) navigator with me!

Getting from PHL to KOP mall was a long trip too. I'd sure be tempted to take a cab in the snow, but I guess your macho boss figures it is cheaper to have the car.

Good luck!

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM

That should be pretty easy to get to. The Schuylkill/76 will likely be bumper to bumper at that time, but you know that. I checked google maps and it took me to the right place. It tells you to head south on I-95 and then north on I-476/Blue Route to get to I-76/Schuylkill Expressway. You can do that, or you can head north on I-95 and get on I-76 directly. It's kind of a crap shoot which is going to go faster. The first route is longer, but has a better chance of faster traffic. The Schuylkill through the city can be a nightmare. Maybe someone else can weigh in on their preferred choice.

West Dekalb Pike is also known as Rt 202 North. Take I-76 to the Rt 202 North exit. Go straight up Rt 202 past the mall (on your left) about a mile (give or take) and the hotel will be on your right up a hill. I think the sign is clearly visible on the side of Rt 202.

Just bring warm clothes.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate your help... it will sure make it easier!
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM

As previously stated head south on I-95 and then north on I-476/Blue Route to get to I-76/Schuylkill Expressway. Then west on I-76 to KOP, then Take I-76 to the Rt 202 North exit. Go straight up Rt 202 past the mall (on your left) about a mile (give or take) and the hotel will be on your right up a hill. I think the sign is clearly visible on the side of Rt 202.

Traffic will be bad at this time of day. But this is the best route to go. DO NOT GO NORTH ON 95 AND THEN THRU THE CITY. Forecast is for very cold arctic air moving in at that time. Snow showers won't be any big deal.
dave
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM

One minor thing to mention: people have advised you (correctly, I think) to go south on I-95 from PHL and then north on I-476 / Blue Route. Be aware that there are isn't a single sign anywhere that identifies 476 as "the Blue Route." It's a nickname known to all Philly residents, which is not on any sign or map. If any resident says, "Get on the Blue Route," just translate those words to "476."
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Update:
As it turns out, Hertz gave me a car with Neverlost. It was awesome (except on the outbound, as my boss insisted on jacking with and interpreting it!).
The highways in KOP are quite confusing!
I drove from PHL to KOP in rush hour, and then the next day I drove my boss back to PHL, then I went back to KOP and then today I drove to 30th st station to drop off the car and take a train to NYC.
-BUT THE STORY DOES NOT END THERE!-
Today was the Obama train. RIGHT as I was headed in to the station. Hertz was closed so on the fly I had to go to the 19th street location. They drove me back to the station
THEN I found out that my Acela train was originating in DC and all the tracks were SHUT DOWN because of the Obama train.
I finally arrived in NYC at 530pm. I was at the 30th st station for nearly 5 hours
I probably should have driven to NYC or maybe Trenton and jumped on a train there!!!
Oh well, the train was a nice experience.
Thanks for all your help!!!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM

thanks for the update. sorry for the traffic problems. : (