Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what is going on in Boston August 3?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just booked tickets and have an unfortunate late night stopover in Boston and a very early flight out. Any ideas what is going on? Hotels seem higher than usual. Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:01 PM

Someone named Taylor Swift is giving a concert, and the Red Sox are playing Cleveland, but I don't think that is your problem.

This is _way_ too early to look for any price relief on a hotel. At this moment, hoteliers are convinced that every room will sell at full rack rate. I would start looking around May. Then maybe try Priceline for the 4 stars at Logan sometime in late May or early June. They are both (Hyatt and Hilton) usually available at good rate s, and Embassy Suites has a prepaid internet rate that is about the same, though quoted higher, if you add in the cost of breakfast. But if you have an early flight, breakfast may not be an issue.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.. just checking out prices and good to know they will probably come down. I was doing Priceline and sometimes in the past I have had luck early in the game.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
yk

Hi lin,

I agree that it's too early at this time to judge hotel prices for August. There's always lots of things going on in Boston in the summer (cuz no one wants to come visit right NOW when it's 6F/-14C), but nothing jumps out right now at me regarding Aug 3.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 04:24 AM

I have done Priceline for a Boston hotel twice in the last few months. I started bidding early and held on till I got a four star Copley Square for $125. The first bid landed me at the Fairmont Copley Square and the second one at the W. At both hotels I was given upgrades and early checkin.

Have fun in Boston. What a great city!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cmcfong for your input. Unfortunately, this time, the only fun we will have is hopefully seeing some friends ( if they can come to the airport area) for a drink before we head to bed for the second leg of our flights.

I love Boston. But just a connecting airport this time.

I hope I get lucky at the airport. It seems their summer winning bids will be a lot higher, of course, than the winter ones.

I am just glad there is no HUGE famous convention that everyone else knew about!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Boston HI Hostel has a private double available for about $110 on that date. bostonhostel.org
Kitchen and common room in the hostel. Large bathrooms with showers are generally down the hall.
Not fancy, but usually a good cheap place to sleep between legs of a trip. I prefer HI hostels over all others.