Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the Wyndham Hotel? Is it acceptable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 07:24 AM
Helena

The Wyndham hotel is on W. 58th between 5th and 6th ave, and it's the only place I was able to get a reservation for under $400 per night for early December. Hmmmm, is it ok? They're charging around $150 per night. I'm looking for something safe, clean, and relatively decent, (nothing fancy)!! Any advice on the location, the hotel, or other options would be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 07:56 AM
Helena

I forgot to mention that this is the Wyndham in Manhattan, and according to the Wyndham Hotels web site, this hotel is not affiliated with the chain. Thanks again for any help.

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 02:48 PM
Marcia

You need an update from a more current visitor, but I can tell you that we stayed there in 1986 or 87 and it was wonderful. Great location. The rooms were large and very clean -although riotously decorated in flowered, polished cotton chintz. The Wyndham has a long history as a "theater" hotel, and we had a funny experience of being confused with the actor Charles Grodin while we were there for 10 days.

I don't recall there being very much lobby, but that didn't matter. There was a large dining room to the rear of the ground floor, behind the lobby, and as I recall we ate breakfast there; it may have been included.
Be absolutely certain you put down a deposit. We ran into a big problem with them over that - because they didn't use credit cards at that time. That has surely changed.
Have a great trip. Hopefully someone will add to this info - or subtract from it!

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 03:20 PM
Karen

We stopped in to take a look at the Wyndam when we were in NYC last April. Had friends who would not stay anywhere else. Heard they do not advertise and do not want to be a huge, well known hotel...maybe it is just by word of mouth. Also heard some of the Broadway actors and crews stay there. Not much of a lobby and did not see the dining room or other public areas. I think it would be worth a try at that price and from the recommendations I've heard.

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 07:26 PM
Louis

Please don't tell anybody about the Wyndham if you like it. We don't want more people knowing about it as it is now hard to get a room there. We have always paid with a credit card. We particularly like the dining room for breakfast.

Old Nov 26th, 1998, 12:03 AM
Helena

Great! My lips are sealed..... Thanks.

Old Nov 28th, 1998, 09:10 AM
steve

We stayed at the Wyndham last Feb-I have friends who love it and thought for the price it was worth a try. We had a suite which was very reasonably priced. The rooms are pretty spacious and they are clean. The bathrooms were very old with thin towels and no amenities(ie shampoo, hair dryer,etc). However for early December you will probably not find anything better for anywhere near the price. The hotels I prefer that are normally under or around $200 a night(such as Roger Smith, Helmsley Middletown or Mansfield) usually raise their prices this time of year if they even have availability. One warning about the Wyndham- check out the bed immediately- one of our group had a really lumpy , uncomfortable bed. Have a good trip.

Old Dec 23rd, 1998, 10:03 AM
Lynda

We have stayed at the Wyndham several times and it is wonderful. Very large rooms for New York and the location is great. It is on the side street across from the Plaza. Very small lobby, but who sits in the lobby? The staff gets to know you and it is very safe. I would not stay anywhere else in New York especially for the price. We have seen Carol Burnett at this hotel on more than one occasion. Have fun!