Anyone hiked the whole Kalalau trail?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen lots of postings of 2 or 4 mile hikes on the Kalalau trail. I'm interested in hearing from someone who has expereinced the whole 11 mile trail, hike up in the Kalalau Valley, etc. I'd like to make the trek someday, but would like to hear the good, bad and ugly about the whole trail, especially past Hanakapiai.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 10:42 AM

I hiked the whole trail in August with a friend of mine -- it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and by far, the most rewarding. We hiked the whole 11 miles the first day. After Hanakapiai is about 4 miles of switchbacks, which aren't as difficult as what's written about them. You go through lush parts of valleys and there is a lot of coverage from the sun. You reach Hanakoa Valley around the 6th mile inside a very lush valley. Hanakoa is your last water source until about the 9 mile marker. There are tons of mosquitos here. My friend and I camped here on the way out and it was extremely creepy. I'm sure there were lots of ghosts around. Leaving Hanakoa Valley you hike about 4 miles in complete exposure, which is worse than it sounds. It's extremely hot and there are few plants to use as shade. This is when finding shade is the most important thing you ever wanted. In my opinion, this is the hardest part of the trail. The trail is about a foot wide and in many parts, less than that. It's also downhill with lots of loose, tumbling sand and rock. It can also get very windy. You'll know you're at the end when you read the "Red Hill." You'll know what I mean when you see it. When you go down the hill you reach a bend and see the Kalalau sign. The Kalalau Valley is lush and the stream is absolutely beautiful. You can see Kalalau Beach from a distance when hiking and that really motivates you to continue. There are also lots of wild goats and cats. When you get to Kalalau Beach it's not recommended that you swim since the undertow is very strong but if you go to the extreme left, pass the caves, you can take a dip there although I wouldn't recommend swimming. Hiking Kalalau is the thing that I am the proudest of doing in my life. I really feel blessed for going and it's true, you do feel like a different person when you leave.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 08:26 AM

Although this trail is rough and strenuous, I think the difficulty is often overstated. I did it with some friends as an overnight, to Kalalau in one day and back out the next. The campsites at Hanakapiai and Hanakoa are both rather unappealing and full of mosquitos, so I would hike to Kalalau in one day if you feel up to it. It took us five hours, but that was pushing hard with few breaks. If you do stop at Hanakoa, there is a sidetrip to a waterfall similar to the one in Hanakapiai valley, but much closer.

Kalalau Beach is so beautiful as to seem unreal. We saw dolphins off shore, soaring tropicbirds, nenes (Hawaiian geese), goats, cats, naked people, an incredible sunset, millions of stars...also an annoying endless stream of sightseeing helicopters, the only drawback to paradise. There's a waterfall at one end of the beach which serves as a shower and water supply (must be purified). We didn't take a tent and got away with it, but you'd want one for a longer trip. Unfortunately we didn't have time to explore up into Kalalau Valley.

There's nothing else in Hawaii like this trail, you'll never forget it.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I am planning a trip next year to hike the Kalalau, and am trying to decide just how much time to give it, so that I will have time to enjoy the Kalalau Valley, as well as see the two falls along the way. Are the Hanakapi'ai and Hanakoa falls worth the side trips? What is there to see in the valley, and how much time should it be given? Do you recommend hiking with a group? Can a solo person have a good experience?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:21 AM

You would need at least three days, one to hike in, one to see Kalalau Valley, and one to hike out. If you can spare the time I would stay the maximum allowed five total nights along the trail, just to relax and soak in the surroundings.

Hanakoa campground is closed due to sanitation problems according to the State Parks website, but I have seen people camping there. Hanakoa Falls is only 1/2 mile away by trail, so you could do that as a side trip on your way to Kalalau. Hanakapiai Falls is too far away to do that, but you could camp at Hanakapiai campground on your way in or out if you really want to go there, and it is worth seeing. At that campground you will see lots of day hikers.

I didn't take it, but there is a two-mile trail up into Kalalau Valley which passes several large pools along the stream.

Make your permit reservations as far in advance as you can, especially if you want to go in May through September.

You're always a little safer traveling with a group, but I wouldn't have any qualms about going alone as long as someone knows your plans.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

I'd love to hear more hiking trip reports into the Kalalau Beach and Valley. I found some good websites if anyone is interested at www.americaswonderlands.com/napali and kalalau.org.