Search

HELP with CO. trip

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 11:25 AM
tripplanner

HELP with CO. trip

We are planning a trip to RMNP, Estes Park and Denver area for the end of July. Need help with finding a family friendly campground (will be tenting it!) in the RMNP area. Also would like info on white water rafting in the area (we know there is no rafting in the RMNP area) and fun things to do in the Denver area for two boys...12 and 7. Have been talking about a Rockies game and the zoo. We are driving from ND and will have about 7 to 9 days total for the vacation.

Old May 14th, 2003, 02:17 PM
tripplanner

Maybe I need to be more specific? Has anyone stayed and would recommend a campground that would be great for a family in the RMNP area and could anyone recommend a reputable white water rafting outfitter in that area? Would really appreciate it. We need to get going on our trip planning and there is so much info out there it is hard to narrow it down.

Thanks

Thanks

Old May 14th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family stayed for a week at the Moraine Park campground in RMNP. There were no showers at the campground, but showers were available nearby in Estes Park. It was a nice location, and very family friendly since it was in the park. Our campsite was a little higher, up a small hill from some of the others, good for slightly more privacy. The kids enjoyed the doe strolling through our campsite with her two fawns.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Tess

I can't help with the camping part but can suggest some Denver activities. Your boys would enjoy the Museum of Natural History...lots of hands-on activities. Waterworld is a great water park (it was featured on Discovery Channel's top 10 U.S. water parks last year). A Rockies game--definitely. Are you staying downtown? If so, the 16th street mall is fun for kids and adults at night. It's a pedestrian-only mall (although they do have free trolleys that travel the distance of the mall) with outdoor eateries, music, etc. in the summer. Oh, how could I forget???? ESPN zone is my husband and 14 year old son's favorite place on the mall--guy heaven. Have fun--let me know if you have more questions.

Old May 14th, 2003, 03:37 PM
tripplanner

Thanks to both for some great advice! I think I do need showers at the campground. (I love camping but do need campgrounds with all the extras!) Tess do you have any thoughts on the Denver Zoo or Six Flags? The water park does sound like fun though!

Old May 14th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Tess

Six flags is fun and located pretty much downtown so it's easy to get to. Just my personal opinion but I've seen better zoos (Omaha's for example). That might not be fair, though, since it's been some years since I visited Denver's zoo. If your kids are like mine, though, they'll have fun anywhere that they can run around!

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:17 PM

There are some good camping areas I have stayed at on the other side of RMNP near Grand Lake that have showers and bathrooms and are family friendly and easy for car-camping. In Denver, I don't know alot but I have been to Six Flags Elitch Gardens and I would recommend it if you like that stuff. I have been to much better parks, but if you don't need the biggest roller coaster in the country to satisfy you then it is good and it has a waterpark attached, so you can do both at the same place. Hope it helps.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:48 PM

Greetings from a Denverite! Maybe try the YMCA of the Rockies - we stayed in great cabins - I am not sure of their camping but your boys would love it - campfires and we went on a night hike looking for beavers. It was several years ago but very fun. Check out the IMAX Theatre in Denver incase of rain. Next door to the Zoo. Which I think is great! Went last summer. Also try Dave and Busters... very fun!!! You won't get any of the boys out (includes the big one!)Rockies game would be fun - as long as they are still playing well! Six Flags and the Water park are right downtown as mentioned... a definite must of the kids. There is also a Children's Museum... don't know very much about that one, but I hear it's good for kids. Enjoy my home state... I think you will have a great time. Bring lots of sunscreen and hydrate yourselves!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:02 PM

hi, we stayed at the koa in estes park, friendly, nice and affordable, across the road were activities for kids(go carts,bumper boats, and estes lake you can buy license and fish. also rodeo grounds are nearby. with all the activities around seems you are only at campsite to sleep then off to the mountains again.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 04:40 AM

My family loves showers - but we still stay in Morraine within Rocky (RMNP). Opening up the tent and seeing the peaks is worth it. And the showers are very convenient - just a short ride to town - and have never had a wait. Y of the Rockies is another great choice. But I"m guessing it would be very hard to get in for July - we go every year in October.
Do go to a Rockies game (as well as many of the other suggestions above - all great). It is very cheap (and fun) to sit in the rock pile...
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:11 AM

If you go to coloradokids.com, there's a 2 for 1 coupon to 6 flags, and some others ideas for your trip. I agree with all the recommendations above. Plus, our kids always like eating at Casa Bonita. It's a mexican food place that you probably have to go to once.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:23 AM

Another vote for a Rockies game. And it can be very affordable for a family. When I was living in Denver (2 years ago), seats in the Rockpile (outfield, but still OK seats) were only $4 per person. Grab burritos/hot dogs from the vendors outside the stadium. Just be sure to bring your sunscreen for day games!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 07:13 PM

I agree it 's worth it to stay in the park. Besides great views, wildlife walking throug your campsite is great fun.

It's only a short drive into Estes Park for showers. We used the showers at the laundromat in the strip mall. Pretty handy to do some laundry while everyone gets cleaned up.

The locals recommended this place but there may be other places.