Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

anyone ever stayed at Rancho Bernardo Inn, Rancho Bernardo, Ca.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 02:25 PM
liz

If so, could you give me your opinion? Are the rooms comfortable/well appointed? Many thanks for your help!

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Emily

I live in Rancho Bernardo, so I've never stayed overnight at the Inn. However, I've eaten at their restaurant, El Bizocho, which has won quite a number of awards and deservedly so. I have also spent quite a lot of time there at meetings and seminars. The service is excellent, the food is good and the hotel and the grounds are quite lovely. It has a very good reputation here.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:44 AM
martha python

Loved it, and my husband still reminisces about it. The rooms are quite comfortable--fairly simple, but nice. Great food at both restaurants, helpful staff, nice pools, good golf course if you're into that sort of thing.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Minnywall

Never stayed there, but have been to brunch on Sunday many times, and it's fantastic.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:34 AM
John

Yes, we spent Christmas with friends there some years ago. Very comfortable rooms, lovely grounds. The food was great but expensive; the Christmas dinner was the ususal, but well prepared. Quite formal, VERY golf-y, VERY age-specific (lots of elegant silver hair abounding.) The golf course was heaven for our accomplished friends, hell for those of us who didn't know our mashies from our niblicks. The tennis pro was reported to be cute. We signed up for a Christmas Eve "Clam Bake," expecting something casual and funky; instead, the hotel threw a few bags of sand down on the floor in one of the conference rooms, and had a Lawrence Welk clone orchestra playing in the corner. No sandals or jeans in evidence, just more blazers and long skirts. We fled.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:28 PM
liz

thanks for input so far, folks!
the restaurant sounds fabulous, but the silver hair/Lawrence Welk band not so good! I like very comfortable, luxurious surroundings but I also don't like to dress up too much, and I don't like snobs! We are in our late 30's...What about the rooms at Rancho Valencia? (Though the prices look high...)
Thanks for your input!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:14 AM
martha python

I think the Lawrence Welk Christmas may be an isolated incident. Are you going at Christmas? If not, I wouldn't worry. It's not all dressed-up seniors, although I saw a few. The RBI caters to families, as well, but protects the child-free by having two pools: one for families, one for grownups. The spa doesn't offer every service every day, and if you want to go on a long run, you'll end up leaving the grounds for part of it, but it is, as I said before, a very nice place. And it is not stuffy, just very comfortable and well staffed.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 08:02 PM

to the top!