Reload this Page >

Colonial Williamsburg & surroundings?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 05:38 AM
lisa

Hubby wants to go to Colonial Williamsburg for a 5-day weekend. Any suggestions for where to stay? We'd like something quaint, preferably with fitness or spa or golf.

Any thoughts on whether there is "enough" to do there for 5-6 days? Other nearby locales we might add on? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 07:32 AM
T.M.

Lisa:

Believe me, you will find PLENTY to do over a five-day period. One thing that immediately comes to mind is wandering through the campus of William and Mary. Lovely place.

If you get tired of Williamsburg, you can always head over to Virginia Beach. It's not far at all. Plenty of good places to eat and the waterfront area is pretty nice. You can take a sunset cruise if the weather hasn't turned cold yet.

One thing you might consider is visiting Jamestown and then taking the car ferry over the river. I did this by accident (don't ask) and found some very interesting historic houses including Captain John Smith's house and Raleigh Castle. Its all countryside and I enjoyed driving around the area.

One last plug: If you like nautical themes, consider visiting the Mariner's Museum in Newport News. I spent hours wandering around in there and still didn't see everything. Then again, I am a museum junkie!

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:42 PM
lmsa

We went to Williamsburg with our older teenage kids about 3 years ago and loved it. Covered all the historical areas, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, plantation. Also, spent lots of time at Busch Gardens which we loved. We had a package that let us come & go as we pleased so we stayed busy for several days.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Becky

Although it has been awhile since I have been there, it was one of the best family vacations I ever took. 5 days might not even be enough. Try looking into getting a a flex ticket. They are available for adults for 5 days for something like $140. For this you get all the good stuff in central Williamsburg, plus Yorktown, Jamestown, and the best part is Busch Gardens and Watercounty USA. I know some of the deals come with hotel packages. We stayed at the Williamsburg Woodlands. Now this was several years ago so I can not say if it has changed, but it was very nice when we were there. The rooms feel very... well woodsy. The beds have giant wooden headboards, and the grounds are beautiful. One other interesting note, it is one of the very few hotels that I have ever seen give soap leaves. Also not to miss is this plantation out of town, I can not remember the name off hand, but it was great. It may be included in the tickets, am not sure. They had an archaelogical dig site there, with a museum of all they had found so far. Don't bother taking the Williamsburg walking ghost tour, if you like that kind of thing anyway, it was one of the worst I have been on.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Susan

The plantation is Carter's Grove. To mix quaint with spa, etc. your best bet is probably one of the historic homes in Colonial Williamsburg. I think CW has a spa in the fitness complex at the Lodge. You should have access if you stay at the Inn, Lodge, or historic properties I believe. The Inn has been recently renovated and looks lovely but the least expensive rooms are over $300.
There is also fantastic golf available at the Golden Horseshoe. Another option is Kingsmill with a great spa and golf. It won't be quaint, however. Richmond is one hour away and would provide another destination for a day trip.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 04:38 PM
jeanne

Dear Lisa,
I just got back from a 4 day stay at Williamsburg. I took my mother. We really enjoyed all of the tours that others talked about. But our favorite tour turned out to be one my mother thought would be boring. We went to the Virginia Air and Space Museum at Hampton. (about a 35 min. drive). My mother enjoyed it so much, I could not get her to leave. Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did. Jeanne

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:42 PM
lisa

Jeanne -- any hotel recommendations?

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Pearce

Have you thought of staying in a bed and breakfast? www.bbonline.com is a great site to find them on. I just looked it up quickly when I read this post, and there are 35 of them in Williamsburg and in the surrounding area. (And those are only the ones that are on that site.) If you take time to check them out, some of them probably will have golf packages you can get. I've never stayed at one with them, but I know there are some with spa facilities. I know bed and breakfasts aren't some people's cup of tea, but I didn't know if you'd ever thought of trying one.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:13 PM
C. Cowen

I go to Williamsburg at least once or twice a year - never get tired of it. By all means stay in one of the Colonial taverns or houses in Colonial Williamsburg. Just specify that you want a queen bed downstairs if in the taverns; they have doubles and quite frankly, can't sleep two people in a double. You do have access to the fitness area and spa at the lodge. Willaimsburg Inn has golfing. All of these activites are within walking distance of each other. Eat at the taverns or the inn. I don't think the inn is too stuffy if you are used to eating in upper end restaurants, and I have never had a bad meal there. Chownings is great; Christina Campbells is great; Shield's chairs can get to you unless you're rail thin. One more colonial restaurant that the name is not coming to mind. While the one whose name escapes me can be very good; its the only colonial restaurant that the service has been bad on repeated occasions. There also are evening programs to go to in the colonial area. They are wonderful and a good price. The lodge didn't impress me and have tried it three times. Surrey which is accessed by the ferry is alot of fun. I just drive around and look at things. La Yuca outside of the clonial area is a great restaurant. The Trellis didn't impress me; hot, crowded and the food was just okay. Berrets isn't bad if you get tired of the taverns, but I personally think the taverns are more fun. Costumed singers and musicians entertain. Try a colonial drink; I like the Rummers. The Pottery Outlet is a must go. I head there right off the bat to get wine and snacks. Carter's Grove is nice; the plantations on Rte 30, I think, are a nice way to spend the afternoon. Two are enough to view. Also has civil war battle areas to look at. Jamestown was enjoyable; Yorktown was a waste. William and Mary is enjoyable. You can spend five days non-stop viewing and not see everything. I'm going back over Thanksgiving for another visit . Enjoy.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 04:53 AM
cindy

We spent 5 days in the area last summer and loved every minute of it! Two days in Colonial Williamsburg was perfect, in fact, we probably could have done more. Spend a day going to Jamestown (be sure to go to the original site; the reinactment village was a disappointment, tho the museum is good), and Yorktown interesting. We also went to the Marine Museum in Hampton, excellent day trip. You can easily spend a day exploring the plantations along the James River (warning-take food with you for a picnic. Once you start on that road, there is nothing but two overpriced restaurants in the area)..