Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever heard of this strange billiards rule in their travels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:19 PM
benny

When I traveled through Scotland I played pool at a pub. I was playing doubles with a girl from the US. We scratched with the 8 ball and were surprised to find the rule on the wall that says if you scratch you have to run around the pool table with your pants down. Everybody was pointing to the rule and trying to get us to do it. The girl ran into the bathroom to hide and I was left to run around the table with my pants down. Its the best laugh I had on the backpacker bus trip. Also found that rule later in every pub which had a pool table.

Anyone else come across this? Which country?

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:34 PM
Jason

I also dropped traw in Scotland!!!
Since then people ask me if I was embarrased in front of the pub crowd. No way. I was traveling solo and had the whole pub talking to me by the end of the night. I was told back home that it might have been a joke but if it was it was the best joke of the summer. A while back somebody told me the rule is common in Australia.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:46 PM
emily

I have been told they have this rule in Australia. I think they have a better sence of humor than we do.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Seamus

Yes, it's an international rule everywhere but in the up tight USA. However, it only applies to people under 25.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:41 AM
xxx

"I think they have a better sence (sic) of humor than we do."

If your idea of a good sense of humor is laughing at people running around a table with their pants down, then yes, that is certainly true.