Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to the Hog's Breath? In Key West? Need help with Jan. vacation.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Bertie

Hi, I am going to Key west for one day(actually the cruise ship is dropping us off for 6 hours) I wanna hit the 3 most fun places. I've been to Margaritaville. Anyone been to the Hogs Breath? what is it like? We are three women ages 40to 50. Any help would be appreciated. Berta

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Dr. Head

Yeah, the Hog's Breath is fun. Not sure what time of day you'll be there, but I'm assuming it will be ~9-3. Don't expect any live music anywhere at that time. That said, you should hit the HB, Sloppy Joe's, and Captain Tony's. All within easy walking distance of the port.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Eric

Fat Tuesday's has some interesting fruity drinks as well - also close by.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Logan

I use to live in Florida and spent some time in Key West. Hog's Breath is fun as is almost any bar you walk into on Duval Street. Get your picture taken at the 90 miles from Cuba stone. Check out Ernest Hemingway's house. Some of the decendents from his orignal cats still live there and the pool is still kept up. It was a neat tour. If you are there when the sun sets, check out Mallory Square. There is also a light house that you can climb which has a nice view of the island.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Jean

Actually had lunch at Hog's Breath last time I was in Key West. Ok chicken sandwich. Neighboring table had oysters on the half shell which were huge!!! There was a guy playing guitar, even at that early hour. I think the music/entertainment starts around noon at Sloppy Joe's too.

Personally, I'd head down to the docks and have some drinks with the fun folks at Schooner Wharf. More interesting than most of the places on Duval.

That being said,I would walk the entire length of it, and see the 'southernmost' point. It's about a mile, interestng shops, bars and restaurants all along the way. I'd also second the recommendation for Hemingway's House. And since you'll be close by, either lunch or breakfast at Blue Heaven.

One day is way too short, but it will be fun!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Kel

I really liked Crabby Dicks. Right on Duval in the heart of it.

Would also suggest Schooner Wharf, great place to walk around, here some music and have a few drinks on the water!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:08 PM
x

ARE YOU KIDDING! Crabby Dicks SUCKS!!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM
cccccccc

crabby dicks? this person must be a real foodie!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Bertie

Thanks for all the really great info. I think we will write it all down and check out everybody's suggestions. Bert

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Yuck

Why would anyone want to eat at a place called Crabby Dicks???? It sound disgusting!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:02 AM
joebob

Hog's breath is such a tourist trap. be sure to get your T-shirt, shot glass, underwear, hat, earrings, bandana, beer coolie, key chain, and water bottle while you are there. Hemmingway used to drink at Captain Tony's across the street. anyway I guess if you are a first timer to KW you should at least see it. avoid the incredibly blatantly tourist traps: margaritaville, hard rock cafe......goto Pepe's and blue heaven if you can.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Patrick

I had the worst margarita of my entire life (and I've had some bad ones) at Hog's Breath. I'd just suggest if you go, do yourself a favor and don't get a margarita.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM
x

Go to Captain Tony's and skip Hog's Breath. Captain Tony's is the original Sloppy Joes, Hemmingway and Cap't were best friends, and the citizens of Key West go fed up with their mayor, banded together, and elected Cap't Tony as mayor. Tons of good history there.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:38 AM
XXX

I get a kick out of the "this is where Hemmingway used to...." mentality. If Hemmingway were alive today he'd buy a place on Marathon and never go back to Key West- Capt. Tony's notwithstanding.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:44 AM
x

Key West history books are full of pics of Hemmingway and Capt Tony. EH & CT fishing, drinking in the bar, fishing, hanging out, fishing, drinking, drinking in the bar.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:12 AM
joebob

why would Hemmingway buy a place on Marathon? for one thing his house is already on KW. for another the Hog's breath and Capt. Tony's are still on KW. and Marathon does not have the Hard Rock Cafe nor does it have Margaritaville. They may have a hooters though, I am not sure what he would do come to think of it.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Jean

I suspect if Hemingway were still alive that he'd be living at his very beautiful property outside of Havana Cuba. Much more secluded than his home in Key West, but not a long drive from the city of other smaller towns.

Personally, I thought Captain Tony's Bar was just a little too dirty for me. Some of the underwear hanging from the ceiling actually appeared to be in the process of decomposing. Yuk.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Bertie

Great advice from you all...can't wait to get out of the cold in down to Florida. Thanks again, Bert

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:58 PM
viv

Loved Key West only place we didn't enjoy was Crabby Dicks. I didn't like Captain tony's it seemed really dirty and all those dirty disgusting bras hanging all over the place yuck!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Soundslike

My reocllection is that Capt. Tony (bless his soul!) didn't get to KW until about 1947. And by then, Mr. Hemingway was long-gone.