Anyone been on Carnival Cruise Lines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like I hear that it is kind of swinging single party boat or do I have the wrong idea about Carnival? Doesn't seem like Kathy Lee Gifford would promoting a sin ship for all of those years. Looking for a cruise this summer to take the teenagers on to cruise, have some fun, eat good food and just get away. Carribbean or Mexico? Not sure. Any ideas?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:54 PM

Carnival is definitely for the younger crowd. Lots of drinking and counting hairs on chest after so many drinks, etc.

Princess is for the false teeth crowd, so probably not what you want.

Celebrity and Holland America are a bit upscale, but not snooty, like Crystal with its white gloves service.

Disney can be lots of fun. Caters to all ages. Ships are not very large, tho, if I recollect correctly.

My favorite is Royal Caribbean. Bit more upscale of Carnival, bit lower than Celebrity. Great food. Entertainment is good too.

I'd go with Disney, Royal Caribbean, or Celebrity as a first choice.

As for Mexico or Caribbean? The cruises are divided into Eastern Caribbean, Western C, Southern C, and Northern C. If you choose the Western Caribbean cruise, you get eastern Mexico as well, so you get both!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
GoTravel

A sin ship?

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:46 PM

I went on a Carnival cruise as a graduation trip from high school and again as a graduation trip from college. Both times with large group of friends. I see it as a party boat! We weren't doing any of the swinging, but we were loud and just had fun! (Lots of dancing, singing, and drinking)
I think it would be fun for teenagers, but not for romance or a relaxing getaway. I probably won't go on Carnival again unless all my gal friends from college plan a reunion trip. That would be fun.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:28 AM

I have nothing but postive things to say about Carnival--for families or for singles, or for married people for that matter.
Check out CruiseCritic.com for detailed info on cruising in general.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:11 AM
xaimimgr

Why not post this on the "cruises" topic?

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:21 AM

It has been posted on the cruise board and there were no responses! My suggestion would be to try cruisecritic.com., much more info.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for you responses. Yes, sin ship, like Club Med on the water. That is my impression of Carnival. Just party, get drunk, and if you are lucky you can score. Especially for the short trips out of LA, the three night ones. But, that doesn't mean it is so, which is why I am asking.

I also posted on the cruise board. That board gets very little traffic, is what I am finding.

Is there a way to find out if a cruise ship offers lots of activities for teens?

4thetide, my dd is graduating next year from high school. Where did you go for HS trip? Was it a blast? Was it organized or did a bunch of kids book the same trip? Did they let you drink? Is 18 the min age on the boats?

Also, what is the difference between east Carribbean, west and the rest? What is the most desirable?

Thanks again. You are a big help.

Really, Princess is the false teeth crowd? Thought that was changing.