Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone been heliskiing with Helitrax (Telluride, CO)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking to arrange a day of heliskiing for my husband next winter while we are in Colorado and wonder if anyone has had any experience with the company Helitrax?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I live in the area and DH skis Telluride twice a week, I don't have any first hand knowledge.

I just wanted to say that they do not actually have the skiing in Telluride; it is there base of operation.

I can offer ideas about Telluride as a town if needed.

Deb
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm looking at a one-day package that includes fixed-wing aircraft from Vail (where we'll be staying) to Telluride, and helicopter from there to wherever the fresh tracks would be. I have no idea how far from Telluride they go, and I suppose it depends on the snowfall.

I heard on the news it's still snowing in the Rockies! How are conditions at Telluride?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM

My husband and daughter used Helitrax about 3 years ago. We were all impressed with their thoroughness, attention to safety and good customer service. Clients ski with a well-trained guide leading the way.

Be aware that weather definitely plays a large role with heliskiing. Weather during that trip was perfect, however, the following year my daughter and her husband returned and ended up spending 3 days in Telluride waiting for the weather to clear enough for the helicopter to fly.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Yes, we had snow yesterday but to no avail. Telluride closed for the season last Sunday 4/6. DH went for his last day on 4/2 and it was great.

This was a great winter for skiing here in SW Colorado. Telluride had over 300" and Durango area even more.

IF the heliskiing doesn't work, Silverton [just north of Durango] has some amazing extreme skiing.

Deb

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, breckgal. Comments about their safety precautions and service are exactly what I wanted to hear.

I need to understand all the contract details. I know weather's always an issue with skiing, so I'll need to ask how they handle delays when the package deal starts and ends at Vail.

I hope I can pull this off. He's having as "oh" birthday while we're there.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM, sounds like my husband will have to make a trip just to the Telluride/Silverton area! Maybe if I can't pull off the heliskiing, I'll book a second trip to Telluride. Thanks, and have a great summer.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Hey Jean, I used to live in TRide, and have known people who've gone up with them and only heard good things about them. They're very professional and knowledgeable and I'm sure you've seen their website, but you definitely should do it!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sheri_lp!!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Hi Jean,

In case another option works for you, helicopter skiing is also offered by Wasatch Powderbirds in UT. Their base is right at Snowbird so no other flights are needed.

They have been flying longer than I've been skiing - over 35 years and are a first class op. As you may already have discovered, reservations are needed months in advance.

The ski areas in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons have had over 600" of snow this year - still piling up. Alta right now has a base of 160" - enough for great spring skiing. Snowbird stays open longest - on weekends as long as the snow lasts. This year that should easily be at least until 4th of July!

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dayle! I was looking at Helitrax because of the option to start from Vail. We'll be there on our annual trip, and I wanted to surprise my husband for his birthday (which date falls during our trip). I'm beginning to think the surprise aspect is probably not a good idea, but I still would like to work this around his birthday. But I'll keep Wasatch Powerbirds in mind as the family is thinking of buying a vacation home in Park City.

Can you believe the snow this late in the season? Utah is unbelievable, but even Vail has had about five feet (three in the last week!) since we left a month ago. We're itching to ski somewhere. It was 90 degrees this weekend at our home at the beach in SoCal. Yikes.

Thanks again for the info.