Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2000, 10:50 AM
BRT2

Anybody been to Sanibel?

I am going to Sanibel at the end of
this month for a week. Looking mainly
just to relax while there, but what things
should I definitely do and see there?
Restaurant recommendations? Overall impressions of the area? I've never been before.

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:52 PM
Barb

One of my favourite places - not tons to do at night but daytime is spent cycling or blading on miles of bike paths (a must!), Ding Darling nature reserve, canoeing in Tarpon Bay. Beaches not sandy, mainly composed of crushed shells so beach shoes also a must. Don't know what type of accomodation you have but there are lots of nice low rise condos - have some ideas if you need them. Stop at the Chamber of Commerce as soon as you get on the island - lots of discount coupons for restaurants. No favourites - most are quite reliable. Drive to Captiva is neat. Hope this helps a bit. Definately a great place to get some R&R!

Old May 31st, 2000, 01:57 PM
Mary

The Bubble Room Restaurant is a MUST.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 10:00 AM
Ruth

We were there several years ago, so the comments are dated. We had excellent meals at two nice restaurants. One was the Mad Hatter I think and the other was an Italian restaurant at the far end of the island. Also had great casual food in a number of places. Food overall was good.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 10:12 AM
D.

Sanibel is one of my favorite getaways - got engaged there!Beautiful beaches
and very relaxing.

I recommend renting bikes and riding around the island. Take a drive up to Captiva Island (the 2 connect via a small bridge).
Mary is right - must go to the Bubble Room - if only for dessert (they are HUGE). Also there's a great restaurant called "Mr McT's" or something like that - has GREAT seafood - especially shrimp. HAVE FUN!

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 11:12 AM
Craig

I live in Fort Myers and agree with all of the previous posts. In the summer it tends to rain in the afternoon - so I suggest walking the shops at Periwinkle Place. There is a jewelry store there named Congress Jewelers which has neat gold sealife jewelry. Also get an ice cream cone at the Chowder Company Restaurant. Another good restaurant to visit on the Island is the Timbers for good seafood. Venture up to Captiva (adjoining island north of sanibel) to go to the Muckey Duck for lunch. Finally, I suggest taking the ferry to Cabbage Key for a lunch - this is where Jimmy Buffet allegedly got his inspiration for the song Cheeseburger in Paradise. In addition to canoeing Ding Darling, I suggest renting a kayak up near Buck Key in Captiva. There is a neat mangrove tunnel you can navigate (except when it is low tide). Much more to do, but thought this would provide some suggestions.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 04:20 PM
Melinda

Mucky Duck is nice
Mc T's has good seafood
Hungry Heron has like 100 items on it's menu from simple to complex and is a good place to grab something when you are not in the mood for "a dining experience."
The Bubble Room is great for lunch. Split a lunch and a dessert as the portions are huge.

We enjoy just picking up shells and lounging and renting bikes. We have rented a boat and that was fun. It is not a lavish area but like old Florida and is real low key. No need to dress up at all. It will be very warm and I would bring bug spray. I liked the store Pandora's Box for cards and gifts. Great area to just sit under a palm and read a book.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 04:55 PM
Renee

I just went to Ft. Myers this past April with my husband and 10 month old. Go to your nearest Library and ask for a Florida Fodor's book. Ft. Myers and the surrounding islands are in there. They have great ideas on what to do, where to go to eat and local attractions. The book really helped us.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Lori

We just returned from Sanibel. The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum was wonderful. Make sure you watch the 30 minute slide presentation. You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about the lives of shells. We were very impressed. It is not a hokey little tourist trap. It's a very classy place.

The Ding Darling wildlife refuge was fun, but early morning or late afternoon is best for a visit. Why? It's a drive-through refuge, but you will by no means stay in your car. You'll park and get out for a closer look at the waters and overlooks. Your car will be sweltering and won't offer much relief from the heat because of the doors being constantly open. Also, the wildlife is more frisky during the cooler hours. The visitor's center is a must, especially if you have children. One of the staff gave my kids BINGO sheets (spot a black mangrove tree, cross it off; spot a snail, cross it off) and when they returned them to the visitor's center after our drive-through they were given "prizes". A coloring book, an animal tatoo (their choice), and a heavy-stock poster.

We had a lot of grouper while on the island, but the BEST grouper sandwich was at the Sanibel Island Chowder Company in Periwinkle Place shopping center. You can get it cooked several ways. Try the Jamaican jerk! It was awesome!

McT's has good seafood. Matzaluna's is very nice. The Bubble Room is a hoot. My son celebrated his birthday there, and we all had big old desserts. I actually took a photo of their dessert tray. You have to see it to believe it. For a very casual place try Cheeburger Cheeburger. Bring your appetite.

Make sure you drive north to Captiva. It's fun to drive and look at the real estate up there. The roads are narrow, winding, and beautifully lanscaped!

My overall impression of Sanibel is that it was a perfect R&R spot. If you're the sort that needs to be constantly bombarded with activities to be happy, skip Sanibel.