Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any tips or tricks for getting Phantom Ranch dorm reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any tricks or tips for getting Phantom Ranch dorm reservations? I know to call on the first of the month a year before we want to go and that they start answering their phones at 7 am mountain time. Is there anyway to avoid the long recorded message and get to a real person faster?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Missypie, I don't think so. As far as I know, it's just the luck of the draw on getting through, even if you keep dialing.

I have heard stories of people getting 10 friends to all keep calling, all with their phones set to "speed dial".

If you get the recording (instead of a busy signal), I'd just hold on and wait. . . even if it takes 15 or 20 minutes.

When I've called for other purposes, like making dinner reservations and not on the 1st day of the month, I still have to wait through the recorded message, every time. If there is a way to bypass that, I'd love to hear it!

There is another way to get reservations there: get a group of 10 friends together and book the group cabin. That is done by fax, not phone.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

We're in! March 17, 2009! Three of us were on 4 phones and got through pretty quickly. (Probably silly-if eveyone uses 4 phones, that just quadruples the calls!) I had 4 possible dates and all were open. So we're set for Spring break 2009. Now I've GOT (!) to join a gym!!!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM

Congratulations! You'll have a great time. If you can, spend 2 nights at the South Rim before your hike down; this will help you get used to the altitude and you will have time to get things organized for the hike down.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM

you will love this trip, i did it many years ago and still remember it as one of my favorite all time trips. we took the Kabob trail down and the bright angel back up. Going down is pretty easy, coming out "builds character"
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM

bookmarking