Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any tips on finding decent airfare to Big Island??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

We have finally decided - we are going to the Big Island for our 1st anniversary - that is if we can find affordable airfare! Lodging (condos) and rental vehicles look very affordable, but airfare does not - about $900 per person on the sites that I checked. We are planning on flying out the last week of July 2005 from Colorado (staying 8 nights). I'm hoping the high prices are just because we are still a ways out. If so, what would you expect to pay for airfare to Hilo or Kona? Is one airport typically higher than the other? When do you think prices will drop? What's been your best place to book the airfare through? Thank you so much!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:18 AM

America West, via PHX & HNL, has Mon-Wed fares of $850 to eihter ITO or KOA. Not too much cheaper than what you're getting.

However, on 7/12, 7/13, 7/26 and 7/27, you can fly DL to HNL for about $550, via SLC. Add an inter-island fare of about $170 I believe, it's still <$730.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:33 AM

July is one of the most expensive months to fly to Hawaii unfortunately. Don't think you'll be able to find much lower than 750ish. You may also want to check pleasantholidays.com for consolidator airfare from LAX to Kona. Also check Hawaiian Airlines out of LAX. Typically I have found Hawaiian to be the cheapest.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:35 AM

I have recently started using www.kayak.com. They are not a air ticket seller - like Orbitz or Travelocity. They're a travel search engine that will direct you to the site with whatever fare you select. I'm finding that they quite often locate lower fares than I find on travelocity, orbitz, or expedia.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:37 AM

Call your travel agent and ask about a fly/drive package. I have found the pkg rate to be less than just the airfare the last two times we have gone to Kauai (thru HNL to LIH). Yes, I searched expedia orbitz et al., and the websites of the carriers. (Hawaiian Airlines had the best rates out of LAX.) But throw in the car and the pkg rate was easily the best.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM

In Hawaii you can generally Priceline your car for a significant discount. Most recently we won a luxury car for $29 when Expedia and others had the car at $52-$54/day. With taxes we saved apprix. $200.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:53 AM

Hi,

There are several charter companies that have very affordable airfare to Hawaii. The flights leave from San Francisco or Los Angeles and prices can start from $400 per person.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice, especially about Pricelining a rental car! Any specific recs for charter air out of LAX?
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:32 AM

We flew to the Big Island in December- prime time between Xmas and New Year's. I got the best deal by calling American Airlines Vacations and combining air and rental car. Just air, from LAX was @ $750. If I got air and rental car, the fair went down to @$520- and paid @260 for an SUV for a week. We flew in and out of Kona. But a couple years ago we flew into HIlo and out of Kona, and as I recall it didn't cost anymore than in and out of the same airport. Good luck!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM

Best total cost deal is to find a package tour that you like, including at least air and hotel, possibly adding rental car. Good luck.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:28 PM

My husband & I just lucked out and got airfare RT from BWI to Honolulu for $276 per person (we opted to travel next month)! We have certain cities in Travelocity's farewatcher section and they email us when the rates change. We have gotten really good deals this way; you just have to be flexible with your travel dates. We weren't planning on going anywhere this spring because we are going to Italy in September, but we couldn't pass up this fare!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM

Sherhatfield, that is an absolute steal! Way to go!

Monalua, you can check biddingfortravel.com to see more winning bids for cars on Priceline in Hawaii. SUV's on Priceline show up between $23-$25 per day.

I think suntrips.com charters airfare to the islands.