Any tips for DFW

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Emily

Any tips for DFW

I will have 1 hr to change planes with my 3 yr old, by myself, with stroller. And to change diaper & grab a bite as we get no food on either flight, from Orlando to DFW, then DFW to San Diego. So, any tips would be appreciated. Flying Delta if it makes any difference. Thanks!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Sara

It sounds like that is all going to be pretty tough in

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:39 PM
afriend

Don't worry - here's what you do -

In DFW Delta holds gates 7-38 in Terminal E - even if you're in at 7 and out at 38 - we're talking 8 minutes tops.

Call Delta ahead of time and request kids meal or extra assistance - they notate that in the record and if you are struggling to meet the plane they are more apt to hold it if they can.

Change diaper on the next plane - just board early with 1st class group

and pack that diaper bag with enough fun food to get any 3yr old thru 8 hours of flying time - make sure its the fun stuff -

people make flights 99.9999999% of the time (i know i am exagerating but the times between flights work for all of us , young and old, tall and small.)

enjoy SD and don't fret

Jen

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Lexma90

I've travelled by myself quite a bit with one or two young kids. Will you also have a car seat? Anything other than the kid, car seat and stroller should go in a backpack that (obviously) you wear on your back (carry an extra set of clothes for your child, just in case). You get off the plane, grab the stroller from gate check, hold the car seat in one arm (or loop a strap through it, so you can hang it from your shoulder), and push the kid in the stroller. Or better yet, put the car seat in the stroller & have the kid walk - they'll want to after being cooped up on the flight.

Take all of your own food, packed in the backpack. That way, you can distract the kid during the flight with the food. Then you don't need any time to eat. If you really must, buy quick, healthful foods that you can take on the flight - bottles of orange juice, bagels, etc.

You should have plenty of time to change the diaper in the airport. If not, you can do that on the plane too. Check with Delta to see if the plane you'll be taking has a baby changer in the bathroom on the plane (though a 3-year-old may be too big for it anyway). Alternatively, a 3-year-old may be able to stand on the toilet seat while you change him/her.

Personally, I would use the flight time for changing diapers and eating, and the time in the airport between flights for letting the kid run around as much as possible.

Here's another tip: we have a tiny backpack that our youngest loves to wear, like a big kid. I put one or two stuffed beanie babis in it, so it really doesn't weigh anything, but she feels very important carrying it. And if she doesn't want to, I stick it in my bag or over the stroller handle.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Connie

Since you are staying on Delta you won't have to go up or down escalators or elevators or take a train or bus or tram anywhere.

Another plus of DFW is that it is one long corridor instead of having to find your way down different corridors.

Restaurants and restrooms are all along the corridor--you won't have to go searching for them.

They keep several of those battery powered, really big golf cart type vehicles going up and down the concourse to help people like you. If you don't see one, ask at the gate.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Russ

You mentioned that you are flying Delta and that makes a BIG difference. You should be ok, assuming an on time arrival.

All of Delta's gates are within the same terminal, should make your transfer as easy as can be possibly expected. Most of the DFW problems that are well documented on this forum are from those who fly American. DFW is the big American hub, and AA's gates are spread out over 5 terminals which can make for some awful intergate sprinting as the terminals are well distanced from each other.

Barring the unexpected, you should be ok!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Emily

Thank you so much for the info about Delta's gates, that is a big relief. I have flown many times alone with my son, just never changed planes in DFW. Usually Atlanta, which is horrible to navigate and accomplish the diaper & dinner stops in the hour I usually have had. Thanks again!

I can't believe nobody flamed my thread, unless I missed it & they have already been deleted

Have a great weekend!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Faina

Emily, just don't get nervous - the children always feel it! You'll make it.