Search

any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any suggestions

I would like to take my 2 kids (A 20 year old & a 12 year old) to California next August. Thinking of flying from NYC to San Diego & driving up the coast to San Francisco. Should have about 10 days. Will stop in LA & Sacramento to see family. Any suggestions on hotels,sites, etc.?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM

San Diego is a wonderful city with lots to do. So is San Francisco.
In San Diego, your kids would probably enjoy one of the hornblower cruises, the zoo, the aircraft carrier, Old Town, and, one of my very favorites, the aquarium in LaJolla. It's a neat aquarium and the neat part is that when you go out the back to go to the tidepool exhibit, you will find beautiful views of the ocean.
They would probably love the beaches in La Jolla as well.
San Francisco will be very fun for them. Make sure to take a ride on the trolleys, go through Fisherman's Wharf, take a boat ride to Alcatraz, and make sure to go to Peir 39 by Fisherman's Wharf. Walk all the way to the back, past the shops, and you will have a commanding view of Alcatraz and a chance to get up close and personal with Sea Lions!
You sound like you have a wonderful trip planned. Have a great time.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you got an answer - but you would get tons more if your title made more sense. "any suggestions" could be asking anything about anywhere in the States.

I'd re-post w/ a better title. And when you do help us out a bit -- your hotel budget? What sorts of things you want to see/do? Are Disney/Universal theme parks in the plans? etc etc.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Your 20-year-old (and perhaps the 12-year-old too) would probably enjoy a surfing lesson or two in San Diego. My 18-year-old daughter did this last year with her aunt and had a blast. There are tons of companies that offer surfing lessons, so a web search should give you several to choose from.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM

As far as tourism is concerned, you've hit the jackpot. I'm from Michigan and have taken several vacation trips to SoCal (southern Cal). Ten days just aint enough time.

San Diego is just a "jump-off" point. Not only can you do the many things already mentioned. You can also take pre-paid tours to Mexico that can include shopping trips to Ensenada or dinner trips to Lobster Village. The shopping district just outside of the boarder crossing (San Diego side) is excellent. You name the retailer and they are there (terrific prices too!). Old Town not only has great food it also has a ghost tour that's extremely entertaining (takes you into the Gas Lamp District).

The LA area has Hollywood and game shows you can get tickets for (in advance). The beach area is great also. Not to mention Long Beach and the Queen Mary (they have rooms for rent). Universal Studios and Disney are good if you've never been to Orlando.

The San Francisco area has tons of touristy things. If you buy an "all-day" bus ticket (which is good for the trolley too), you can travel from the Wharf to China Town (shopping) to the Golden Gate Bridge (a must if you have a camera). The Wharf is great for having moderate priced dinners or during the day shift you can have a ton of "sampler" sea food dishes. If you leave the bay area, you can visit Napa wine country or Yosimete National Park (that's definitly a over-night visit in Mara Posa).

In closing, I would suggest you purchase a Fodor's book for California and get real familiar with the web site www.biddingfortravel.com
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM

When you head north up the coast Hwy 1 stop at Hearst Castle. Good place to spend the night would be Cambria and do the castle the next AM then go on up to Monterey or Carmel.

Monterey is the place to visit Cannery Row, make the kids read the book before they go. Take them to the Aquarium (top 5 in the world).

Old Sep 21st, 2007, 09:36 AM

Just before Monterey, Point Lobos where you can walk to the tidepools, chances are you will spot sea otters. One of our favorite trips as teenagers.

August is a good time for whale watching off of the Southern California coast. The big blue whales were out in force this summer. We go sailing, but I think you can catch whale watching trips from Newport Harbor or from Long Beach.

San Diego zoo for sure, especially if the new baby panda is on display!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM

I would suggest a quick visit to the various California Missions along the way... San Diego, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, San Juan Batista and Carmel. Its a great slice of Calif. history and they are each quite different.