Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any recent info on budget Oahu - Hawaiiana Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let the Outrigger Reef at deal slip through my hands...so I'm on to plan B. Looking into accomodations at The Breakers or Hawaiiana. E-mails into both...have heard back from the Hawaiiana, $89/night for a standard room.

** Should I ask if there is an upper level room available? I've heard the lower rooms are dark.

** What's the deal with smoking here? I've read that there are no non-smoking rooms...anyone have any experience with this?

** Any recent reviews about this hotel out there? I'm just a teensy bit apprehensive. I don't mind dated furnishings and decor, but if it's become a real dump I'd rather check out the Ohana hotels.

This is for Feb 11-15...so I'm anxious to book asap considering it's V-day weekend.

Mahalo and Happy New Year, fodorites!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:14 AM

why don't you try priceline or hotwire-I think you could do a lot better for the same price with them-look at the current trend to pricing and for which hotels at www.biddingfortravel.com. I just used them again for a long weekend in Orlando with my hubby and kids and if your not picky about a particular floor or exact hotel then it can be a terrific way to go! I know I have seen the Sheraton Princess Kauilani (one of my favorite Waikiki hotels because of its excellent location) for around $60-80night, you really cannot beat that. Good luck!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 09:27 AM

The Hawaiiana Hotel is absoltely wonderful. It is a slice of old Hawaii nestled in the middle of Waikiki. You can't beat the location - one block from the beach (the Outrigger Reef is at the end of the block), Kalakaua is less than 1/2 a block away, you can catch The Bus outside the back gate.

I stayed there this summer for two weeks and can't wait to go back. The staff is great - friendly and helpful. They serve complimentary tropical juice and Kona coffee by the pool every morning. It's fun to meet other guests over coffee and juice and talk stories about how everyone's trip is going.

The rooms and furnishings are outdated, but clean and in good working order. The kitchenette saved me lots of $$ on food. There are 2 pools on the property and the grounds are beautiful. Plumeria trees everywhere, flowers, grassy areas.

IMO, for the price you can't beat it. But don't expect the resort atmosphere or amenities, it's more like an apartment complex than a ritzy hotel.

Oh yeah, and next door at The Breakers you can get one of the best cheesburgers in Waikiki for about $4. Good luck on your search, but I'd highly recommend the Hawaiiana.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses!

Alohamom - I have considered (and not completely ruled out) using priceline and have spent time reading posts on biddingfortravel.com. Was going to bid for a 3 or 4* but there are a few hotels I'm not crazy about...and with my luck I would end up with one of those. We really do not require much, just a clean, safe place with a friendly atmosphere. Hawaiiana sounds charming in addition to meeting our needs. I also like the idea of supporting a family-run business.

bashfulLV - thanks again for posting your thoughts on the property. It sounds like you had a wonderful experience there! will have to treat myself to one of those burgers. yum!

aloha!
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Topping this post to say thank you and give another favorable recommendation. I stayed at the Hawaiiana in November and totally enjoyed the place. Nice and down-home feeling but so close to Waikiki beach, shopping and all. The Breakers right next door looked similar and nice too.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 02:27 AM

glad you liked it! We enjoyed it too...will definitely recommend it to friends/family looking for cheap digs.