Any info on Greenville, NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! The cost of living in MA has become outrageous and I am thinking of taking a visit to Greenville, NC (potential job). Could people here please try and give me a feel for the are? Pros/Cons? I plan on buying a home or townhome and have a child who will be entering Kindergarten this Fall. Thanks in advance! Kerry
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:21 AM
z

Here are many posts regarding Greenville, NC. Do search under Greenville. Meanwhile, read this one.

What is so great about Greenville, SC?
Author: Wildflower
Date: 10/31/2004, 06:04 am
Message: A few days ago when having lunch in Flat Rock, NC we overheard conversation about Greenville, SC. We were pleasantly surprised to hear about Greenville, its restaurants, theathres, shopping, etc. Greenville is less than 50 miles from our new home in North Carolina and I would love to find out more about it. Where to go, where to eat, what to do, etc., Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 11/01/2004, 02:54 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Budman
Date: 11/01/2004, 02:58 pm
Message: They make BMW's in Greenville - the Z3/Z4 and X5. You can buy one from your local dealer and go to Greenville to pick it up.

Author: Gretchen
Date: 11/01/2004, 03:49 pm
Message: It's a lovely old southern town home to Furman University.

Author: Syv
Date: 11/01/2004, 04:10 pm
Message: I attended 4 yrs university there at BJU. Being from Canada, I found it hot, humid, & wet winters!

It is in the piedmont area, well-treed. I've heard others say "visit Greenville" as well. Not sure of the specifics why, but I guess it's an okay town. Lots of shopping, lots of dining places, lots of "the arts" (orchestra, etc.).

http://www.sciway.net/city/greenville.html

Author: leahinsc
Date: 11/02/2004, 02:41 am
Message: Wildflower, I live in Asheville but travel to Greenville frequently on business. I think they've done a great job with their downtown area, shaded, walkable streets, benches, riverside walking path, good restaurants, interesting shops. Asheville would do well to copy this along the French Broad! They have many festivals and evening music/family events downtown. I think they just finished up a 3-day restaurant festival not too long ago. A fair amount of cultural activity, sporting and music events at the Peace and Bi-Lo centers. It is a sprawling city and is just getting bigger and busier with the accompanying traffic issues. It is much more conservative there than Asheville.

Author: Craig
Date: 11/02/2004, 08:26 am
Message: My wife's aunt and uncle live there. We visited them last July. When Aunt Rogene and Uncle John built their home on the outskirts of town 30 years ago, they were surrounded by farmland. Today, there are about 6 big car dealerships and a mall within 1/4 mile of their home, which is now surrounded by other homes. We visited the downtown, which is beautiful, walkable and full of nice restaurants and shops. There is an art museum which is also worth checking out.

Date: 11/04/2004, 10:29 am
Message: Thnak you all. It sounds great and it is so close to where we live. Any recommendations for places to eat? We are not interested in Chinese or Mexican. Anything goes but we love seafood and French.
If we want to visit downtown where are the best parking places?
Budman, we are scheduled to get our new BMW in April/May

Author: Budman
Date: 11/04/2004, 10:57 am

Date: 11/05/2004, 12:31 pm
Message: Wildflower, downtown has lots of restaurants, some good, some just so-so. You might do a search on Chowhound (www.chowhound.com) to get some recommendations. I've enjoyed tapas at the Casbah(I think that's the name) and Soby's is always good. There is a good sushi place across from Haywood Mall but the name escapes me - it is near a chain Mexican and a Barnes & Noble.

Author: Litespeed_Chick
Date: 11/05/2004, 01:56 pm

"Greenville is a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there".

Actually, that's not really true, It's probably worth one trip down from Flat Rock for the novelty of it. Downtown is really neat, my office just moved downtown and I really like being able to walk to lunch, do a little shopping, or go for a run down into the new Reedy River Park. The new suspension bridge over the falls is worth a look and the park is pretty.

As to theater, there is the Little Theater, I don't hear much about it these days. The Peace Center has lots of "cultural" events. There is a symphony and they get guest musicians sometimes. The Peace Center also has traveling "Broadway" musicals.

As to shopping, we have your basic mall and a few interesting stores on main street and a few high-end shops in Lewis Plaza on Augusta Road.

I think food is Greenville's weakest point (by far). There are indeed many restaurants downtown (and gobs of chains all over town) but they are mediocre at best, IMO. ( Leah, that sushi place is called Sushi Koji and that's my favorite sushi in town as well. ) Greenville actually beats the Asheville area on sushi in my opinion...but that's the only thing.

The Art Museum has a large collection of Andrew Wyeth paintings...used to be the largest in the world outside the artist's own collection, but quite a bit of it was sold to Japanese interests years ago. BJU has an excellent collection of pre-Rennaissance religious painting.

And it is sometimes as much as 10 degrees warmer than Flat Rock so come visit on one of those cold days that will be here soon!

Date: 11/05/2004, 02:54 pm
Message: Litespeed chick - there is a good Indian place on Wade Hampton that I went to a year or so ago - is it still there? It was in motel.
Sushi - thanks for refreshing my memory. Sushi Koji is very good quality. In Asheville though have you tried Zen (Merrimon Ave) or Wasabi (downtown)? I think they are almost as good.

Date: 11/09/2004, 05:31 pm
Thank you.
Maybe you didn't realize but the way some of you described Greenville it sounds appealing to us and we'll be making a special day trip. I would also appreciate any of your recommendations for great places to eat in Asheville area too. We love French and seafood.

Date: 11/09/2004, 06:15 pm
Message: Wildflower..here are my (our - husband and my) favorite restaurant in Asheville.
Sushi - Wasabi or Zen - the latter has more inventive rolls
Italian - Tomato or Savoy - the latter much more expensive
Seafood - I can't think of any seafood restaurant in Asheville - Litespeed Chick???
All around good bets...The Market Place, Stony Knob (Weaverville), Richmond Hill - for an out of the world expensive but worth it meal.
Pizza - Asheville Pizza, Barley's, Mellow Mushroom
Burgers - The Burgermeister (West Asheville)
Mexican/Cali - Limones - organic
Breakfast - Tupelo Honey, Stony Knob,
Vegetarian - Laughing Seed

Author: Auburn
Date: 11/10/2004, 04:44 pm
Message: Wildflower: Go to Soby's in Greenville! They always have excellent fresh seafood dishes on the menu and their she-crab soup is the best I've had outside of Charleston. There is valet parking. Its right on Main Street.Check out the Peace Center for performing arts to see if anything is going on there...its right across the street. Also across the street if you are staying overnight is the Westin Poinsett Hotel, over 100 years old but newly renovated and very nice.

In Asheville, I am told that The Boathouse, a local favorite in Charleston and Isle of Palms,SC has just opened up an addition on Lake Julian. If its anything like its sister restaurants it specializes in wonderful fresh seafood! I'd say its worth a try.

Date: 11/10/2004, 09:18 pm
Message: Auburn - I've been to the Boathouse on IOP and loved it, not as impressed w/ the one here in Asheville. Many of my friends have tried it as well with the same impressions...noisy, sketchy service, uninspired presentation of food.
Soby's on the other hand is great.
They are working on a seafood restaurant in downtown ASheville now but it will probably be months before it opens.

Date: 11/20/2004, 11:14 am
Message: Thank you Leah and Auburn for your lists of places in Asheville and Greenville, SC too. Now if we can only find a free day to go there. With this beautiful weather weare having we do lots of hiking and focusing on the other outdoor activities. It is amazing that on most of the trails we are alone.

Author: Ellijay
Date: 11/20/2004, 12:52 pm
Message: Do try the Augusta Grill at Lewis Plaza on Augusta Road. Delicious high-end gourmet dining that has consistantly received top ratings. Dinner is somewhat pricey, but lunch is fairly reasonable.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:15 AM

Greenville, NC is a small town about 40 miles east of Raleigh. What "z" is linking are posts about Greenville, SC. Two different places.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Greenville,NC is close to the NC coast- about an hour--and about 1 hour to Raleigh..NOTHING much to do there except for East Carolina Univ...that's about it...A sleepy southern town with just so-so shopping...

If I was SINGLE and moving, THAT would NOT be the place to go....

However, Greenville,SC is TERRIFIC..

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:41 AM

BIG difference between Greenville SC and Greenville NC! Greenville, NC is a college town - home to East Carolina University. This is pretty much a "party" school- so you can expect lots of "run down" houses being rented out to students. It is considered "down east" North Carolina - lots of flat farmland around and about an hour away from the beach. You will find it a totally different way of life from living in the east. It is likely you will find a few Jeff Foxworthy "You Could Be a Redneck" role models residing in the area. Cost of living should be a lot less than you are used to. Very hot, humid, sultry summers. Do not expect any cultural activities, theatres, museums, good ethnic restaurants (however down east North Carolina bar-b-que is to die for), bakeries, or other such pleasures you probably presently have available to you. Raleigh, NC is about 1 to 1/2 hr. away.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Greenville NC and SC are two different animals.

As mentioned earlier, Greenville NC is home to East Carolina University. The medical school there has an emphassis on rural health. And they have rural area around them. The school might have some travel(l)ing events or on-campus productions so there is more cultural events in Greenville than a lot of eastern NC. Root for the Pirates (ECU's mascot) and learn to like high school football.

I'm not sure if there are townhomes in Greenville. Housing prices in Greenville are much more affordable than Mass.

I don't know about schools, but since it is a college town, chances are the schools are better than neighboring areas. The state of NC has a standardize test "The ABC's of Education" it should be posted on the state's dept. of education website.

Summers are hot and humid. Try to find B's Barbecue restaurant for a meal (yes, it's on B's bbq road, but no phone). There is also a bbq restaurant in the Ayden/Grifton area that has the white house or capitol building on top of it that is supposed to be excellent. I can't remember the name, but a local should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:21 AM

While you are checking out Greenville North Carolina, visit Washington and Bath, both within a half hour drive. They are charming small towns with much to recommend them. Greenville itself, is not my favorite city in NC but it is close to the beach and Raleigh.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:36 PM
z

Ooops!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM

Virtually NOTHING to do in Greenville. My nephew is in grad school there and I've visited him while on business. His indicator of how "dead" the town is - Kinko's closes early. My indicator - no Thai restaurants or other ethnic cuisine. Even the Chinese restaurants are the buffet style that is just a step up from fast food. I asked for recommendations at a nail salon and was told to drive to Raleigh. We ate at Outback.

Coming from MA I think you would be very, very disappointed. I'm a Southerner and Greenville, NC is far too limited for me.

You would be happier in Raleigh (good schools) or Greenville, SC. but it sounds like those aren't options for you. Asheville would be even better!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Greenville, NC is much more than run down rental houses. It is a small to medium town with 15K students and not sure, maybe 20K 30K other resdidents. It is not just a "party" school as it also has a med school, MBA program, top music school and many others. I sometimes think people who say a town is "dead" has more to do thair lifes, than actually where they live. Now saying that, it is not a large city and like most towns/cities, it is all about who your friends are and who you are associated with. For a town its size, the citizen's can be highly educated. It is also an osais for the rural east, which can add interest to someone's life It is 45 minutes from the beach and a little less than 2 hours outside of Raleigh. You will find it very cheap compared to most parts of MA. It all depends on what you want. Go visit and make the decision.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Hi, I'm from Greenville and have lived there for most of my life. It's true that Greenville is not among North Carolina's big tourist spots, but I think it is a good place to live and work. There are several townhomes, and more are being built all the time. The cost of living is incredible here compared to places like Raleigh and Wilmington, which is a bonus. Although there are a few "rednecks" anywhere in the Carolinas, contrary to our friend's beliefs it is not such a problem. Another thing to mention, Greenville is growing VERY fast, partly because of the medical center. There is a new mall being built, and new restaurants are opening all the time. The beach is easily accessible and a new highway was completed to Raleigh which cuts travel time to an hour. A few places you may also look are Farmville and Winterville, which are very nice "small towns" within 15 minutes of Greenville. Let me know if I can help with anything else.