Any idea where to stay in Santa Barbara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 6 women visiting California for first time in September and want to stay a midweek night in Santa Barbara. Has anyone any ideas where we can stay thats not too expensive ? We will be heading up north along the coastline to San Francisco.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"not too expensive" doesn't tell us much. What is your budget?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Sunset Magazine suggests Hotel Oceana
hoteloceanasantabarbara.com

or Old Yacht Club Inn B&B
oldyachtclubinn.com
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.theeagleinn.com

www.masonbeachinn.com

www.marinabeachmotel.com

www.elpradoinn.com
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Fess Parker Doubletree
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Have you checked at the Upham? Thy often have midweek specials for $185, have a wonderful restaurant on site and it is within walking distance to the Stste Street shops AND has the added bonus of on site, free parking.

There are never bargains to be had in Santa Barbara when it comes to hotels but it greatly pays to do your research. (There are some real dumps that charge over $150...) Do you have a price range? Are you sharing rooms? Are you looking for spa services, near the beach or downtown?

If you share more info we can be more helpful!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Rooms with an ocean view come at a high price in Santa Barbara which is why we prefer to stay in Moro Bay. HTTY
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM

I loved the Eagle Inn when we stayed there a few years ago.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM

We had a reservation at Eagle Inn a couple weeks ago and didn't stay there. The room smelled horrible and the place seemed so depressing. We ended up staying at The Harbor View Inn in the new wing. The room was large and beautiful and had a partial ocean view. We got a AAA discount. We would have paid anything for that room.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM

There are never bargains to be had in Santa Barbara when it comes to hotels but it greatly pays to do your research. (There are some real dumps that charge over $150...)
__________________________________________________ _____________
Understatement.
Have you looked into any of the Best Western properties there? I think they're usually pretty safe???
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM

Go online to travelocity,Expedia,Priceline, others. Most sites compare prices. Be aware that your credit card gets billed right away. You should check on refund policies. Too bad you're staying such a short time. Loved Santa Barbara! We took a shuttle toward the mission from our ship for free and then a low cost bus half way to the top. The mission church is lovely. It was a Sunday. The church had a free coffee social til noon. Upon the advice of a server we walked back to our ship--all downhill through gorgeous neighborhoods with roses everywhere and then into downtown where we spent a free Mothers Day at the art museum. You can have wonderful times when you're frugal, and maybe more of them!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM

If you don't mind sharing beds, try the James House -- it's close to everything you need downtown, and the breakfast is fabulous. We loved staying there. Just a warning, though -- our room had a beautiful spa tub but a hand-held shower -- this was fine for us but a little more awkward than a regular shower. I think they have some rooms with full showers but it's good to check.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:28 PM

I am zipping down tonight... here's an example... many hotels that have horrible reviews and are maybe two star properties are charging between 220 and 300 for the night. Fess Parkers is at 420 and I got the Bacara for $295... they upgraded me AND I have a 50 minute spa treatment (from my last visit) to use in the morning.

You have to know where you want to be... if you want to stay right on the beach, Bacara isnt your place.

I have stayed at several SB properties but it doesnt look like the OP is going to give more info...so I am going to go enjoy! Have a good weekend everyone!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM

We're going for two nights in Jan. & I've been doing a lot of research but realize prices are a lot lower in Jan. than now. The three I've come up with are Simpson House, White Jasmine Inn or James House. Also, Casa del Mar seems reasonable (in January anyway) I don't want to pay $300 per night but still want a really nice place, so I agree with people who are posting that it seems to be that you get what you pay for!! I would love to stay at a beautiful b&b but sure don't want to stay in a dumpy one!! Does anyone know whether the 3 I've chosen are nice? Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Micah, I haven't stayed in any of them but the Simpson House is a five star and contunually has great reviews. Their prices seem to remain the same year round, although they do have specials sometimes, I used to be on their mailing list. Go to their website and sign up for their internet specials, you may be offered a better price in January. Have you read reviews on trip advisor?

The other thing that you could do is start your own thread here with those properties in the title and see ewhat other fodorites have to say ...