Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any hidden gems (lodging) near/in Death Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents and I are driving to Death Valley from Las Vegas, leaving around noon. We plan to stay overnight and then spend most of the next day in the park. I've gotten rates from both the Furnace Creek accommodations - the inn is too expensive and the ranch doesn't look all that nice for the price ($158 plus tax for a cabin). Is there anything outside the park with a reasonable price - preferably something with some character? I have a feeling I may be asking too much... Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM

There are not many options IN Death Valley. We stayed at the Inn and it was worthy every $. It was a fantastic place to stay. We met many people who stayed in campgrounds in their RVs or in tents. Do search here under Death Valley and read about other options in and outside Death Valley. If you want to stay about one hour from Death Valley there is Best Western in Pahrump that looks very new.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM

In DV, Furnace Creek is it -- the rest is utter desolation. What time of year are you planning to go to DV? I would NOT recommend going at any times other than in winter. It's just too hot for man or beast.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
ltt

we stayed at the furnace creek ranch 2 years ago. it is definitly overpriced but that's what happens in unique places such as death valley. our rooms were spacious enough and clean. (we stayed in the main building(s) not a cabin.) every room has either a patio or a balcony depending if you are on the ground or second floor. the pool there was really nice. there were two restaurants on site. very average food. we went to the furnace creek inn for breakfast one day. it was good food and the place was definitly posh.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM

We recently stayed in a motel style room at Furnace Creek, and that is where we will stay on our next visit. The room was clean, recently refurbished, and pleasant.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM

We stayed in Steovepipe Wells.It's ok, nice pool and close to the dunes.Paul
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Stovepipe wells is very reasonable, spacious rooms, a little dated but clean.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

USNR - we're leaving today! Kind of a last minute thing. My parents are visiting and wanted to see something "off-the-strip", so we're going to drive over to Death Valley today, spend the night and the day tomorrow, and return tomorrow night. I've done several day trips to Death Valley, just never stayed overnight. I've been there in April of last year, and then I was there about a month ago. I haven't been there in the summer, but I kind of want to, just to see how hot it REALLY is!

One option we were looking at is the Amargosa Opera House & Hotel in Death Valley Junction. It's just southwest of the park... I've read reviews on Trip Advisor, and everyone seems to say the same thing - it's pretty run down, but that's the whole point...

I think we'll probably end up staying at Furnace Creek. They had availability for tonight as of yesterday afternoon, so I'm hoping they'll still have it today! I'm planning on driving up route 95 from Vegas to Beatty, because just past Beatty is Rhyolite, a ghost town. Then we'll drive down into the park and hopefully get a room at Furnace Creek!

Thanks for all the help.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Check out some of the hotsprings in the area.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Good luck with Furnace Creek. The last time we stayed at Stovepipe Wells our room was so shabby we determined not to stay there again.

We found the salad bar to be the best dinner deal at Furnace Creek.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I've posted a trip report under a separate title if anyone's interested. Furnace Creek Ranch was surprisingly satisfactory!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM

topping for Hilary