Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any good tricks for getting upgraded to 1st Class?

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flyng solo. Any good tips for ways to get upgraded to 1st class without paying extra?
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:23 AM
RNC

marry a flight attendant or pilot;#)
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:34 AM
GoTravel

Not unless you are a super duper frequent flyer.

Just a warning, a family at an airport I was flying out of recently agreed to be bumped so they could all fly together in first class the next flight out. Not only did they not get first class, but none of the 4 seats were together for the next flight. Talk about mad!

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:42 AM

This question has been asked here numerous times. My answer is still the same, your chances are slim to none. Does it happen? YES, but it's so rare, that if you do get it, think of it as getting a lucky lottery ticket, because that's about the same chance. Others here will tell you to dress nice, to have a sob story, to be friendly, etc... They believe that their trick worked for them so it's foolproof. Well, let me tell you. I travel about 75K miles per year on AA for the last 3 years. I have Platinum status with AA, so while the status helps me get up front when I request it, it's not free and it does not happen all the time. There are times when coach is oversold and the business and/or first is wide open. They will move people up to these cabins in instances like that, but in most cases it is the elites that get the first crack at an upgrade. Most people that will tell you otherwise probably don't realise that the airlines have cut capacity in the last year, up to 25% on some routes. Domestically, most first/business cabins are full on most of the flights I have been on, between the few people that actually pay and all the elites that requested and pay discount for an upgrade when the seat is available. Yes, I did say pay, even though it's discounted, why would an airline not take even the smaller amount of money in favor of somebody that is friendly and dresses nice? Internationally, most of the majors are making an official rule for their ticket and gate agents from upgrading people under a threat of loosing their jobs. The biggest reason is this, if you paid $5000 for your ticket how would you feel if the person next to you tells you that it cost them $500 to sit next to you? Times have changed, airlines are in trouble, and rules have tighten considerably. So, even though others will relate a story how it happened to them, I always prepare myself to sit in coach when that's all I paid for. Never have been disappointed yet. The only 'lucky' upgrade I received on an international flight had nothing to do with how I was dressed, how nice I was to the ticket agent. Actually I partied with friends the night before, so I probably did not look my best. Could I explain it? no, since this was about 4 years ago,I did not fly frequently, did not know the rules, and I did not pay attention to what was going on, but I did enjoy the business seat.
,So if you get it, enjoy, but don't be disappointed if you don't!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:17 PM

My compliments, AAFrequentFlyer for an excellent posting, containing some realistic insights and advice!
(PS to Sara8374: If I had a great system for getting upgrades, do you think I'd volunteer that info for the world to see on a public forum?)
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:39 PM

That's a tough one. Almost never happens. I've gotten upgraded twice, without having any FF status at all, but with extenuating circumstances.

The first time was on my honeymoon, almost 19 years ago. We were flying from NY to Bermuda. I got in the car to go to the airport and freaked when I realized our flight was at 8:30 not 9:30. The driver drove like a maniac, we got to Laguardia with 5 minutes to spare but, when we didn't see our flight number on the screen, we looked at the tickets again. Yep, wrong airport. We were supposed to be flying out of JFK. Found out there was a 9:30 flight out of JFK, drove again like maniacs, I was in tears, we thought we were going to spend the first day of our honeymoon at my inlaws. I think the stewardesses thought we were so young, so pathetic and so distraught, that they'd give us a little wedding gift and upgrade us. So that's how I got upgraded the first time.

The second time I boarded a flight from a biz trip and ran into a good friend as I passed him in First Class. This guy flew so often he saw the flight attendants more than he saw his wife. One of them came and got me and asked if I wanted to sit with him in first class. Of course I did.

So there you have it. Good luck.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:54 PM
GoTravel

Excellent post AA.

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Just wanted to add that on both occasions I never asked or expected to get upgraded. My husband gets upgraded once in a great while, but he never asks either. It's very random, and in his case they just might recognize him since he flies so often.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Sara if you are a frequent flyer and belong to the airline club (costs about $300 to $500 a year) you have a better chance of getting upgraded.

Please realize there is sort of a pecking order in the airlines these days and of course they are desparately trying to make money. Most of the airlines are running in the RED big time.

Ok that pecking order would be and it varies between the airlines the elite/platnum they fly the most miles each year and generally get upgraded when seats are available. gold they fly alot and generally will get upgraded at night when lots of seats are available.

Frequent flyers on some airlines can also purchase upgrades, based on miles to be flown.

Sorry but it doesn't make sense to give you an upgrade when there are regular fliers on the plane giving the airline their real profits. They really try to go out of their way to make sure they make the regulars stick to their airline.

Delta has the best "club" the Crown Room, it's $400 0r $500 a year and if you fly alot is more than worth it, since you have a place to go and wait in comfort, can make local calls, use your computer, use conference rooms and in some locations even use the shower.

The clubs also have consierge hosts who will really go out of their way to get you on a plane when problems arise, and that's the place I used to get upgraded all the time.

We flew my Mother up to visit and the airline cancelled 2 flights on her, I asked the Crown Room to get her and make her comfortable and they really went out of their way.

So I guess that's the long answer to your question, fly alot or spend money to join the airline club.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 01:16 PM
GoTravel

Keep in mind that the airlines look at the number of miles you actually fly and not just how many you have accumulated.

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Northwest WorldPerks probably has the best program in terms of first class upgrades for elites. FC seats are complimentary to elites in order of priority -- platinum, gold, silver -- on domestic flights. Simply put, if you're an elite and there is a first class seat open, you get it. If there are more elites on board than first class seats, it goes according to priority. As a gold elite, I almost never fail to get an upgrade flying within the U.S. and Canada, but I understand this varies by days and routings and it is never guaranteed. With bonus miles, discounts on club membership and other benefits, it is well worth making elite status if you are already doing a number of trips each year. It can fundamentally change the economics and conditions under which you travel.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:33 PM

The days of your average leisure traveler getting an updgrade because they are cute, single, on their honeymoon or whatever are virtually non-existent...
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:12 PM

I was waiting for my flight to Atlanta from New Orleans and Delta announced they were offering first class upgrades for $50.00 if you had a certain code on your ticket. I've never seen this before with Delta though. I've also never seen first class completely booked either.