Coastal towns near Houston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some quick advice... I was planning to attend a conference in Houston Texas in late April, bring my wife and 1 year old along. The conference has be cancelled but I still hold the flight tickets. I can get a partial refund on the tickets or find a plan B. Our flight is Wednesday through Monday. Are there any interesting coastal towns within a few hours of Houston or should we cut our loss?
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM
cd

I love to travel so I would never give up the opportunity to do so. NASA would be a great place to visit in Houston. A nice one day trip would be to Galveston. The beaches are not wonderful, but I sure enjoyed it for a day. I really love San Antonio which is about 3hrs away. The Riverwalk, the Alamo...
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Galveston is OK, but not the prettiest place. It's an hour from Houston, and might be good for a 2-day trip. Good seafood restaurants there...

I'll agree with cd that you should go to San Antonio (3 hour drive from Houston). Late April will be PERFECT weather for getting out on the Riverwalk and in the Hill Country. With our late spring this year, you might even catch bluebonnet season. Your 1 year old will probably enjoy Sea World, too. Check it out!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Galveston is a great trip, no matter what anyone else seems to think. My kids have been to beaches all over florida and still love going to Galveston. Rent a beach house for a few days, it's really easy. Have fun.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:42 AM

April is a great time to visit Texas. the weather is mild and the humidity and heat have not kicked in yet.

Our beaches aren't as nice as Florida or Alabama thanks to the Mississippi River. Other than Galveston and Corpus, most of the towns along the coast are sleepy fishing towns. Rockport is nice to get away to if you really want access to the water. Some artists colonies and bay fishing there.

Texas Monthly has a series of books on places to visit in Texas by region. You might want to check those out.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Skip Galveston and go to the Kemah boardwalk. For more info go to kemahboardwalk.com. Seafood restaurants galore, ferris wheel, merry go round, train, live music. Don't forget to visit or eat at The Aquarium.
Do take a drive into San Antonio and visit The Riverwalk and enjoy the wildflowers on the highway. The blue bonnets should be in bloom. You can also explore more bluebonnet trails by visiting txdot.com