Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any Fodorites in Sarasota Fl? Help would be appreciated.

Aug 30th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

We have an opportunity to lease a downtown cottage, in the Washington Park area in Sarasota this winter, for a few weeks.
Walking to may restaurants and places of interest is appealing, and the 10 minute drive to the beach is just fine.
Do any of you know the Washington Park area? is the neighborhood a combination of business and residential? Is it fairly quiet at night-safe and well lit to walk at that time?
Any restuarants, or interesting "native" recomendations would also be appreciated!
Aug 31st, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

ttt-in hopes of a reply, since no postings came up for a fair amount of time!
Aug 31st, 2006, 08:39 AM
Neopolitan

I'm pretty familiar with downtown Sarasota, but have never heard of Washington Park. I don't know of and couldn't find an actual park by that name. Washington Blvd. is a major north south street through downtown so I suspect it may be an area of older homes along that street. Can you find out a cross street for more information?
There are a number of kind of funky but fun neighborhoods in the just south of Main Street neighborhoods. If, in fact it's along there, it could be a fun place to be, but most of those areas are not very well lit at night when off the couple of commercial streets, and not terribly walker friendly.
An actual address would be very helpful, but cetainly a street and a cross street.

Aug 31st, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Neopolitan- I think you may have zeroed in on the neighborhood!
It is indeed about 5 blocks south of Main St., a block west of Washington Blvd. The street is Lafayette Court, a dead-end St. running north/south crossing Oak Lane and Laurel, according to Mapquest!
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Neopolitan

OK. Yes, that is a sort of "funky" neighborhood, quite "arty". It's a combination of mostly very old small houses, some restored, some falling apart. (I hope yours is one of the former, not the latter.) Should be a fairly short walk to Burns Court with several good places and not that far to Main Street with quite a few places. There's also a small little area of art galleries near by with a restaurant on a verandah called Lavanda (?) that we've enjoyed.

Aug 31st, 2006, 10:07 AM
Neopolitan

OK, should have looked at Mapquest first. Towles Court which is on Adams is the art gallery square with the restaurant Lavanda -- and it is very close to you. Burns Ct. is a little further, but still walkable.

Aug 31st, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Had to chuckle at your reply, Neopolitan. Ours is the "latter" a restored old cottage, that looks quite charming.
Actually, living where we do, in such a rural area in the winter, and a fun,funky fishing village and art colony in the summer, the busy, funky,"artsy" walk to quite a bit is very appealing to us! The owner lives in the area of Union Square in Manhattan, her enthusiasm is both refreshing and "catching"!
Aug 31st, 2006, 01:23 PM

The neighborhood you are in is part of a larger area called "Laurel Park" and it is a wonderful old area with residential and commercial mix. As Neopolitan says it is very walkable to the Towles Ct. galleries and Burns Court. There are also some funky antique shops just to the west in the Pineapple Square area. Can't remember the name but there is a very good French restaurant within walking distance as well as the place noted above in Towles Ct. By car you are less than 5 min. to the Whole Foods store and at most a 10 min. drive to St. Armands and Lido. Burns Court Cinema is a 10 min. walk to the west of you and the more mainstream Hollywood 20 is a 5 min. walk to the north. Personally, I don't think it is at all a dangerous area to walk at night but of course, everyone has their own comfort level with that sort of thing. The main thing is that it is a very good location and will be extremely convenient for you during your stay.
Sep 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thabk you so much for responding, Neopolitan and Samschack.
We have indeed decided to go forward, and I do appreciate your help in the decision process.
I will let you know how it goes!