Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any feedback on Hilton Resort Sandestin, FL??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am thinking of trying out this resort in late April... does anyone have any reviews or feedback from staying here?? the reviews are mixed. I am also looking at the Embassy Suites on the beach in the same area-Destin. Is Destin a neat town?? Thanks alot.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

any help??
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM

Sorry I can't comment on either place to stay but I can answer your other question about Destin. Destin is a very popular destination (sorry, couldn't help that!) and thus, it is always very crowded. Traffic is pretty bad cause Hwy 98 runs right through town (very slowly). East of the main town is shopping, shopping, and more shopping. The beaches are beautiful as is the water, but to enjoy them you really need a place on the water.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites last April. It was fine for a weekend - a small pool essentially in the parking lot but it was too cool and breezy to swim and we spent our time on the beach. This is across the street - not bad but the hotel is not ON the beach. However, it is right in the middle of the shopping/eating area - within a mile of Silver Sands.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM

You may be on your way already mcmckissic1, but I wanted to give feedback as we just stayed there last week over spring break with the kids. The property is really nice and the beach is great. You don't want to stay further west of this as they are still dredging up sand to replace the beaches from Ivan. There's a huge pipe from offshore running all the way down Sandestin to the Mainsail condos. My biggest concern with our Hilton stay was the service. Housekeeping was awful, came late and didn't leave tp, shampoo and other items behind without having to ask. Our mini-bar was missing, breakers kept blowing and our door key lock was on the blink. Also, be prepared to be raped on prices. I guess it's to be expected, but I hate being taken advantage of just because your there. Beach umbrellas and chairs were $30 for the day, drinks and food costs too high. I also resented having to check out and in pool towels with our names. There aren't too many good hotel choices in Sandestin or Destin. Maybe the lack of competition is the issue. I'd recommend a good condo rental over a hotel. Truly in spite of the issues, the Hilton was just fine overall.