Search

Any Comments on These Oahu Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 09:10 PM
Decent Tropical

Any Comments on These Oahu Hotels?

Hi everyone. Interested in hearing comments on the following Oahu hotels:

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel:

Looks like it's as close you can get to Waikiki off-the-beaten path. Website quotes praise from Fodor's, Conde' Naste and others.

http://www.kaimana.com/

Outrigger Ala Wai Towers:

Oceanview rooms w/ kitchnettes near the beach park for 120- a night sounds like a good value to me.

http://www.outrigger.com/details/property.aspcode=phx

Ilikai Waikiki:

Threre is a reason why I am interested in this one.

http://www.ilikaihotel.com/

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 10:36 AM
Ruth

Hi DecentTropical: I can comment on the New Otani Kaimana Beach, as we stayed there on our last visit to Waikiki about two years ago. There are some utterly wonderful things about staying there, which I think outweighs the not-so-great, but everybody has different priorities so here goes:

When you drive into the entrance, you will not be at all impressed - so ordinary. Then the lobby is very nice, very Hawaii, but low key. The staff is sort of like Baby Bear's porridge - not too warm, not too cool, usually about right. A couple of travel writers have thought they weren't very warm, but I had no problem. The hallways could definitely use a little maintenance, I thought, as we walked to our room, and you could smell food from the Japanese restaurant in the elevator. At that point, I was questioning my choice of hotels.

Then we stepped inside our Waikiki-view junior "suite," and found it to be very tastefully furnished, with a separate sitting area, and everything you could want in the way of amenities. And THE VIEW, from a wraparound balcony, was to die for! One wall of your bedroom and two walls of your sitting area are virtually all glass! You see the ocean, Waikiki and Diamond Head all from these balconies, and at night, the lights are so beautiful, they leave you speechless!

Now this "suite" is not what you normally think of when you see that label. It is a long, divided room, but you will not get another view like this in Waikiki for anywhere near this price, around $220, when last I checked. They usually give a AAA discount or length of stay discount of 10 - 20%, if you ask. The lanai is not fancy, very basic, inexpensive chairs. I've heard the standard rooms, usually included in their economy packages, are VERY small with no views, so I would only rent what they call a "suite." They only have about nine of these Waikiki-view Jr. Suites, and ask for the highest one they have available. We were on the seventh floor, and it was fabulous! Oh, yes, the A.C. is right over your bed - some people don't like that!

So first you have this incredible view from your suite. Then comes Sans Souci Beach, which is so great, like a big, warm, sloshy bathtub year-round. It's wonderful for children and adults who aren't great swimmers. Everybody loves Sans Souci! And it's right outside the back door!

Then you have the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant, under the big Hau tree, all lit with tiny white lights, the most romantic place to have dinner on the beach! And their breakfasts are divine! They also have real old-time Hawaiian music there in the lounge/bar lots of times.

You will be at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki area, quieter and a 10 minute walk to the most congested part of Waikiki. But Kapiolani Park is right across the street, as is the Zoo and the Aquarium.

We love it - but everything about it is not perfect! But it's perfect enough for us..............

Haven't stayed at the other two, but the location of Ala Wai Towers is great, right there at Ala Moana Beach Park, and walking distance to the Ala Moana shopping center.

Good luck & Aloha,

Ruth

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 10:40 AM
Ruth

PS: I just re-read my post. Sounds as though the Japanese restaurant is IN the elevator. Not really..............

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 11:01 PM
Decent Tropicl

Aloha Ruth! Thank you very much for your wonderful review, I really enjoyed reading it. Sounds very nice and I will keep it in mind. It may not be for many years but I do hope to go to Hawaii at least once in my lifetime and in the meantime I enjoy reading about it and looking at pictures.

I hope you won't mind my asking why you objected to smelling food in the elevator. If the food smells good, what's wrong w/ it?

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 06:34 AM
Ruth

Hi again Decent Tropical: Actually, my husband said the same thing about the cooking aromas! It's really not a big deal - I just wasn't expecting it!

Aloha!

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 12:46 PM
Decent Tropical

Mahalo!

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 05:40 PM
Lottie "Tiare" Tagupa

Aloha from Hawaii!

The best thing about the Kaimana is that is the beach out in front of the hotels and the wonderful sunset/Waikiki views. Otherwise, I would recommend the Colony surf just down road a bit. Still walkable to the Kaimana beach, but a freshly renovated boutique hotel and newly aquired by Starwood.

Ala Wai Tower is an inexpensive hotel that is great for those planning extended stays on Oahu. It is, like the other hotels in that Ala Moana/Hobron area probably as far from the beach that you can possibly get in Waikiki.

Ilikai is a long time icon of Waikiki's booming tourist industry, It is currently up for sale and it is also not on the beach, but it is adjacent to the Hilton Hawaiian village and it's amenities.

aloha for now,
tiare
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/hawaii

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 06:09 PM
kalena

I second Tiare on the Colony Surf. Their re-modeling is so recent that you'll be reading about it in next year's tour books. Aloha!

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 04:40 PM
Ruth

Hi Tiare, I agree that the Colony Surf is a great hotel, however, the cheapest ocean view of any kind there starts at about $285/night. I think the wraparound view at the New Otani Kaimana Beach, for the price, is exceptional. That was my point.