Any cold location in summers near NYC OR DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can i reach to any cooler destination/mountain area or national park etc to stay for 3 days which has some cool breeze in the month of July.

It should be within 4-6 hours drive from New York or Washington DC or New Jersey
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 04:51 AM
J62

The Adirondack region of NY state is a good option.

Beautiful scenery, clean clear lakes for swimming or boating, and endless miles of trails to hike.

Depending on what you are looking for, accommodations can range from luxury hotel/lodge or private home on a big lake (eg Lake George), to rustic cabin in the woods, to mom & pop hotel on a small/med lake, to tent camping in a state park on a small lake, to wilderness camping in the back country.

The two places with more options are Lake George and Lake Placid. Personally, I love Lake George, but not a big fan of the southern end/LG village as it is very touristy. But if you have kids and want kid friendly activities right nearby then it may be a good option. Is your family of 3 = 2 adults/1 child?
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 05:01 AM

In one place you say "cold" and in another "cooler". No - in summer there are no places cold near DC or NYC.

It is true that the Adirondacks tend to be not as hot as NYC and definitely DC - but that can mean 85 instead of 95. It does tend to be cooler at night and you might even get a daily high of 75 or so - but I have been in Lake George in August when it was 97.

So it depends on what kind of temps you are looking for - and how much of a risk you are willing to take.

If you want temps that are really substantailly cooler I think you probably need to go high in the rockies in summer
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 05:02 AM

The Berkshires
Jersey Shore
Hamptons on LI
Madison CT
Bear Mtn
North Fork LI
New London/Mystic CT
Newport RI
Cape May NJ

for starters
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Virginia mountains. Anywhere along Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park) or Blue Ridge Parkway will be cooler. Not cold.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 05:20 AM

Nearest DC are the Catoctin "Mountains." That is where Camp David is located. Again as nyt wrote, cooler, not cold. A further north you cross into Pennsylvania which is often cooler and still within your time range.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 05:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Jersey Shore is going to be "cooler" than NYC or DC? I wish.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mid-coast Maine is about six hours drive and can be cool in July, but, same as the Adirondacks, you might experience a heatwave. I've been there when it's in the 60s and when it's been over 90.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:47 AM

In order for anyone to give you meaningful answers you have to define what you mean by "cold". As others have pointed out unless you are willing to fly somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere where it will be "winter" in July or go to areas north of the Artic Circle there's really no place within a 4 to 6 hour drive of NYC where you'll be guaranteed to find "cold" temperatures.

The mountain areas already suggested may or may not be cooler tha NYC - it all depends on what Mother Nature has I store for you planned dates of travel.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:58 AM
J62

This fodors group is being way too picky about single words used by the original poster. I think any logical person can comprehend the intent of the question.

"I'm going to be in NY / DC this summer and looking for a place where we can get away for a few days where will be cooler."

They are not from the US, so are probably not familiar with where we ourselves would choose to go to get away from city/heat for a few days.

Yes, we all know there are no guarantees when it comes to the weather. They have not asked for a 100% guarantee - just helpful (and meaningful) advice. Is that so hard?
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 09:39 AM

As you point out the OP is not from the US. And may think that there are very significant temp differences in some places in the mountains - that is 60 degrees versus 90 degrees.

That just is not to be expected. But the OP may not know that.

What is wrong with trying to clarify their expectations and being realistic about the options.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No one is being picky. 'Cold' means one thing, while 'cooler than Washington DC' could mean almost anywhere

The OP is from Pakistan and has MANY threads going about this trip - the difference between cold and cooler is enormous.

Since he mentions mountains and national parks there is a chance he is thinking along the lines of snow

So yes, we do need to know what they are asking -- do they want cold or do they just want a respite from unbearable heat.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 10:13 AM

J62 is right, and you guys are being ridiculously nit picky. The post says "cooler" and "cool breeze".

I alos agree with Dukey, the Jersey Shore, and the Hamptons/Long Island and Cape May, are not cool compared to places in the mountains or in Maine, although you always get more of a breeze on the ocean, obviously.

If Maine is too far, I'd shoot for the mountains instead.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 04:46 PM

Exactly - he may not understand that what we are calling mountains would be very low foothills of the gigantic mountain ranges in Asia.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 06:30 PM

How about someplace like Newport, Vermont. It's way north and is on a huge lake.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Right at the 4 hour mark from Washington DC is White Sulphur Springs West Virginia. There are 2 caves within 50 miles if you are looking for something cooler.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 08:30 PM

As noted and to restate the obvious, you never what the weather may be those days. And the problem with waiting is that all the places mentioned rely on their summer business and the better places including the restaurants are usually booked early.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the nice little discussion.

As someone asked, yes we are 2 Adult + 1 Child (9years)

It has already been correctly pointed out that i am from Pakistan and dont know much about place and temperature. As i only have a choice of coming to USA in July and hav opted for the East coast which will be hot too, therefore after the bigger & hot temp cities like NYC, DC, ORLANDO would like to stay 2-3 days in a location which may have temperatures ranging from 50-75 F

I agree that no one can gauarantee a temp and it depends upon mother nature, but still we may try.

Initially i had planned to Visit
Adirondacks or Shenandonah, but then decided for Shenandonah due to its very close proximity to DC. I guess Adirondack is far from NYC

But i am also going to Niagara Fall,

So keeping all these factors in mind, which of the national park would be better Adirondack or Shenandonah
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 06:15 AM
J62

If you are going to Niagara Falls, then visiting the Adirondacks for a few days could fit nicely depending on your route to/from NF.

Alternatively, you could also spend a few days in the Finger Lakes region of NY as that is in between NYC and NF. It does not have the vast open space of the Adirondacks, but does have several beautiful lakes with small towns & is a lovely place for a several day getaway from the bigger cities.

Let me describe the Adirondacks a little more. It is actually not a National Park, and it does not have any singular "aha" view or scenery. Rather, it is a large are of mixed private / public space, with many small, medium, and a few larger lakes and miles of open mountain/wilderness area. The mountains are not high by worldwide mountain height standards - every one of the mountains can be climbed in a day hike.

So with the mix of public/private space you will find small towns on or near many of the lakes that offer privately owned hotels, homes, camping sites, as well as many public facilities, restaurants, shops, etc.

On average, temperatures in the Adirondacks are 5-10 degrees F cooler than NYC (daytime high), and nights about 10-15 degrees cooler, but if there is a heat wave in the Northeast it will be hot wherever you are.

I live ~30min from the Adirondacks and visit the area ~20 times per year, mostly for day trips for outdoor activities, but occasional weekend getaways. If you choose to visit this area I am happy to give you any insight I can.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you really want to see Niagara Falls, the Adirondacks is your best choice. Stay near Lake Placid and see Whiteface Mountain. http://www.whiteface.com/
It is possible to get to Niagara Falls by taking the Amtrak Maple Leaf train from New York Penn station. Children under 12 ride on Amtrak for half the adult fare.
If you decide to go from Washington DC, go south on the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway from Front Royal Virginia and then come back through the Shenandoah Valley. Stop to see Natural Bridge in the Valley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -