Any awesome Pittsburgh attractions?

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 10:22 AM
Walt Chung

Any awesome Pittsburgh attractions?

Any attractions, sights, or museums worth visiting in Pittsburgh, PA? There isn't a Fodor's book on Pittsburgh. Let me know ASAP.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 02:46 PM
Lynn

Here are a few Pittsburgh attractions you might want to take in. First, head up to Mount Washington and take the Duquense Incline. It's awesome any time, but particularly at night. There are several upscale dining options also on Mt. Washington, but if you would like dinner with a view without the price, try the Grandview Saloon. Go over to Station Square which is an historic train station turned into a neat, upscale shopping/eating establishment worth at least having dinner in one night. Opposite Station Square is the Sheraton Hotel and the Grand Concourse/Gandy Dancer Saloon (separate establishments). The Grand Concourse is one of Pittsburgh's more noted restaurants. Head out to the South Side for dining options from A to Z including spanish, italian, pubs, mexican, etc. One of my favorites there is Papparazzi, which is an Italian Restaurant that has live jazz several nites a week. The South Side also has all sorts of other music alternatives, including blues, etc. Ask at your hotel for other dining/music recommendations there. The Pirates are scheduled for opening day real soon, so you may want to catch a game if they're in town. Point State Park is a great place to relax, jog or walk through. You can get a seat anywhere along the edge of the "point" where the fountain is and just watch the boats laze up an down the river. The Strip District is Pittsburgh's "warehouse center" where you can find all sorts of bargains and buy any kind of food. There are clubs and restaurants here as well. Some I can mention here are The Boardwalk, Metropol (alternative/club), Rosebud (jazz). There is a neat restaurant in the Strip called Kaya which is carribean in nature and very unique. For another great view of the city, enter the USX Tower, go up to the 62nd Floor to the "Top of the Triangle". The view is tremendous, very high and another neat place to have dinner or a drink. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 02:47 PM
Lynn

Forgot this one-- the Carnegie Science Center is a must see as well while you're there.

Old Apr 4th, 1998, 09:15 AM
Jackie

The Frick family home is a lovely small museum with
a contraption in the turn of the century music room that somehow plays a variety of instruments.! The
setting is elegant and it is a look into the lives of one of America's fortune makers.

Old Apr 4th, 1998, 07:48 PM
taxi

Don't forget Kennywood Park- Roller Coaster capital of the world! Or Sand Castle a water amusement park. While at Station Square go across to Woodson's. It's a sports bar with great food and HUGE salads!

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 09:36 AM
ram

Depends on when and how long you plan to be here. The Andy Warhol Museum and the Carnegie Museum are both in the city The Carnegie is well known for its dinosaur exhibition; I also personally love the gemological display. There is another less well known, but worthwhile museum called The Mattress Factory- more contemporary arts than the Carnegie. About an hour and a half drive out of the city is the famous "Fallingwater" designed by Frank LLoyd Wright. My favorite place in the city is the Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh campus- there are about 15 different "Nationality Rooms"- that have been designed and built by the various ethnic populations in the city to represent their respective cultures- these rooms are maintained as active classrooms and are open to the public to visit. With spring and summer coming up, there are numerous street fairs and arts/crafts fairs in various neghborhoods. Get a copy of the free weeklies, "In Pittsburgh" and "City Paper" to give you the scoop on the local scene, happenings and dining.