Antiquing in Northern Illinois

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Chicago on a Wednesday and will be going to the Kane County Flea Market in St. Charles on Saturday. Where can we go Thursday and Friday to see some nice scenery, small towns, and do some antiquing along the way? We aren't into high priced furniture and glassware...more "junky" stuff like sports memorabilia, toys,
advertising, etc. Prefer to head north or east from ORD...not into or through Chicago.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
JJ5

I'm never in that part of Chicagoland, but where is Long Grove from where you are traipsing?
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Richmond, IL might be a good spot for your antiquing. It's a small town near the Wisconsin border.
http://www.richmond-il.com/

I was there several years ago and they had a few antique shops as you describe. It would be a pretty drive through the country/farmland of Northern Illinois. They also have a Dog n' Suds drive-in still operating.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Galena, IL would also make a nice drive if you have the time.
http://www.galena.org/
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Add Woodstock to my list for you, it's not a far drive from Richmond.
There is a wonderful town square in Woodstock.
http://www.woodstock-il.com/
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM
JJ5

I just looked at the map, Long Grove is West as St. Charles is but farther North.

It has 80 shops and the big Strawberry Festival is this weekend June 21-22.

It's been years, but I know that my SIL used to travel up there to do that for eons and had whole groups of women take the bus for the day from the SW suburbs.

It's very artsy/craftsy but also rather like a smaller Galena, minus the hills (as described to me)- but I was never into that or shopping.

The scenery is suppose to be superb and pictureque. Rather similar to covered bridge territory.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
JJ5

Galena is too far- way too far.

I've never been, but looking at the map but knowing nothing about Woodstock- that would be an option too.

I'd google them to see which town you like and the highway access logistics to St. Charles.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Galena would be about 2 1/2 hours from St. Charles, not too far if it's a pretty day for driving in the country on RT 20.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
k

Galena is probably too far. I suggest Richmond and St Charles. There is another cool town called Geneva, Illinois (not Lake Geneva, Wisconsin) about 5 miles from St Charles that has really cool gift shops. My favorite is THe little Traveler. THe town is quaint and really fun. Nice hotel called "The Herrington too. Good restaurants in St Charles too. The area is very pretty.
another idea is to head 100 miles east to Shipshewana/Middlebury/Elkhart Indiana. It is Amish country. Another pretty area.
Milwaukee is also having their Lakefront festival of the arts, but antiquing in Milw is crummy. If you do go to Milwaukee, there is a little town called Cedarburg that has some little shops and is kind of quaint.
BTW, Lake Geneva has some shops too and is a fun place. If you need any more ideas, just ask, I just pulled out my June Yesteryear newspaper which is our Wisc/northern Illinois antique periodical. The only other thing I saw, is Sandwich Illinois has a great flea market/antique show. I haven't been but have heard it is great, but it is just Sundays I think.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Geneva & St Charles are right next to each other and intertwine in areas, so they aren't 5 miles apart.
Both of these cities have lovely downtowns, with much to see & do.

Galena would be an easier drive than go up to Milwaukee or over to Indiana, the traffic would be much easier to navigate through.

The Sandwich Antique Mart is once a month on a Sunday, usually the 3rd or 4th Sunday of each month.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM

I will second Woodstock and Long Grove.

The main square in Woodstock might look familiar to you. It is where "Groundhog Day" was filmed. If you go, eat at Angelo's. Excellent food. Right on the Square. (I can't remember the name of it, by my sister loves this wonderful salad made with warm potatoes. I think it is actually called "Angelo's" salad.) Woodstock also has a beautifully-restored Opera House right on the square, built in 1889. Here is their online info:

http://www.woodstockoperahouse.com/navigation/home.html

Here is the chamber of commerce's website:

http://www.woodstockilchamber.com/pages/eventcal.html

Long Grove is wonderful for walking around, lots of great little shops. Don't miss all of the great apple products at the Long Grove Apple Haus. (And the Long Grove Confectionary Company ain't bad, either!)

Here is Long Grove's website:

http://www.longgroveonline.com/

You will have a wonderful time, I'm sure, should you choose either town. But Long Grove will probably have just a little bit more to do, especially with the Strawberry Festival. And I believe they probably have a few more "antique" shops in the Long Grove area than Woodstock does.

Have fun!