Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Another rave for The Producers; get tickets now!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Howard

Add me to the list of those raving about The Producers. It's everything all the others have said. One of the best, most entertaining musicals in years, certainly the funniest. Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are great. At the end of the show was, for me, a rare occurrence, the entire audience spontaneously rose for a standing ovation as one when Lane and Broderick came out for their bows.
A word of advice: Get tickets before the review come out on Friday morning. After that, it'll be an even tougher ticket!

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Mickey D

Howard is right. AND, besides all of this great word of mouth, The Producers was featured tonight on 60 Minutes. Just a bit more publicity for a play that already is becoming a must see.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Audrey

It was no easy task but I managed to get tickets for the last weekend in September, they are in the right orchestra--how are the sight lines at that theatre? It appears, at least from telecharge.com, that the run is mostly sold out through 9/30.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Howard

The sight lines are fine at the theater. We sat in the 17th (and last row) on the left, three seats in from the end and didn't miss a thing!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Caitlin

If you look at telecharge.com and everything appears to be sold out, also call their 800-number, because the ticket availability is in constant flux and you could find something via phone that you didn't see online.

I rarely see shows within the first few months they're open, which is okay by me so long as the cast is still there or good, but what with all these regular posters raving about "The Producers" or mentioning their plans to see it soon, I feel a bit behind the curve because I'm not seeing it until June .

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Howard

Caitlin, I admire your willpower in waiting until June! Between the movie being one of our all-time favorites and the raves the show got in Chicago, we couldn't that long!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:41 PM
rick

Seen the piece on 60 mins last night and thinking of flying in to see it,,checked on Broadway.com and they seem to have many dates open...from pervious posts it appears that its a tough ticket to get..
Never been to NY and dealt with theater tickets so just wondering.
Also, which airport should I fly into? and any suggestions on hotels near the theater? thanks in advance

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Caitlin

Howard, I'm sure I could have gotten tickets for late May (couldn't accommodate four in mid-May when visitors who are picky about being close are in town for the weekend--no good seats for them, so we're seeing "The Full Monty"), but I can't get to much theater this spring/summer and wanted to mete it out. But my anticipation is already heavy. In our 10 years together, I have never seen my s.o. laugh harder than at "I'm wet...I'm hysterical." He was *literally* rolling on the floor.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Caitlin

Rick, it's a tough ticket and, as Howard points out, will probably become tougher after it "officialy" opens at the end of the week and the reviews come out. But not impossible, especially if it's for one or two of you. Any hotel in the Times Square area will be near the theater; if you want a quieter location, one of the upper west side hotels will still just be a quick subway hop/cab ride away. If you search on this forum, there are tons of posts on NYC hotels in all price ranges. Also check the Rants & Raves secrion of this site for Fodor's listings and people's reviews. If you're going to the west side, Newark is the quickest trip into the city either by cab or airport bus/shuttle. But I'd choose Newark or JFK based on the best airfare or schedule or where a preferred (by you) airline flies; it's not that much harder to negotiate that it makes a huge difference. I'd avoid La Guardia if you can because it's really overburdened and delays have become horrendous and routine there.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Theresa

I'm so mad at myself. My husband and I were in NYC late March for my birthday and I didn't go see The Producers. We have plans for a return Thanksgiving weekend(with the rest of the free world!). Any clue how long it generally takes a new show to open the schedule past it's original dates? I'm hoping to snatch up tickets as soon as it does!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Howard

Theresa, I would call now for tickets (800-432-7250) for November. Last night I got tickets for a Friday in October for our daughter and son-in-law, and already I had to settle for seats somewhat off to the side. So, call now!
Caitlin, you'll laugh even louder and longer at the show! (The Full Monty is a very enjoyable show, but it can't match The Producers!)
Rick, I'd compare the difference in price between ordering from broadway.com and Telecharge. I'm not sure what broadway.com charges for a ticket but at Telecharge the orchestra is $90, plus a $1 theater restoration charge and $5.75 for Telecharge, for a total of $96.75 (Yikes!)
I'll disagree slightly with Caitlin and favor Laguardia over JFK. Right now, JFK is zoo with lots of construction. And, Laguardia is closer to the city.