Another Great American Roadtrip

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Great American Roadtrip

Last summer took our 4 kids and explored 17 national parks and monuments thru California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah & New Mexico. Looking for the same type of experience this summer in the Pacific Northwest. Thinking about starting in Denver and finishing in Seattle and hitting as much as we can in between. Any suggestions/recommendations? Also, choice to go in June or August - which one? Thanks for your help!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 04:39 PM

If you go in June plan to be in Portland Oregon for the rose festival. In Portlasnd is the nation Rose Test Garden near Portland zoo. They have a wonderful Japanese Garden also. In downtown Portland they have a Chinese Garden we went to both and compared the similarities and differences it was great.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier.

I don't know if you want to go into Canada, but the Canadian Rockies are awsome! Wateron, Jasper, Banff, Yoho.

Utahtea
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:19 PM

I wold take June over August, although it still might be very cool in Yellowstone. I would also recommend Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument (drive down to the juntion of the Green River and Yampa River and camp there), the rain forest of Olympic National Park and the museum in Neah Bay, Mt. Rainier.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Utahtea, I've started working on next years trip-- Glacier NP up through Jasper, but I hadn't heard of Yoho. Where is it and what is there?
Incidently, there is now info about the Canada National Park pass posted on the Canada forum.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM

ronkala,

Yoho National Park is west of Banff. If you look at a map of the area, it's on Canadian Hwy 1 just west of Lake Louise over the Kicking Horse Pass. Make sure you take the side road to get to Takakkaw Falls!

Also in the area, west of Banff on Hwy 93 is Kootney National Park.

Utahtea
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Thanks again Utahtea, I found them and will include all.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Would suggest Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument north of Portland. If your kids like airplanes, Boeing offers tours of its Everett, Wash plant where the 747 and 777 are made. If you want great wildflowers, July in Mt. Rainier area is a good bet.
If you stop at any of the National Forest trailheads you will need either a NW Forest pass or a Golden Eagle Passport. If you have a National Parks Pass this will not cover the BLM or Forest Service fees. Check out www.fs.fed.us/r6/r6nf.htm for all national forests in the Pacific NW. Also explains the differences in the passes. If you want to make campground reservations check www.reserveusa.com/.