Another Fall Foliage Question

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Fall Foliage Question

We will be in Boston on Sept.22-25. Cape Cod on the 26th for a week at a timeshare resort. Is it doable, possible or outright dumb to leave Boston early a.m on the 25th, drive to Stowe, Vermont for one night then leave late afternoon to Cape Cod?
We are just wanting to possibly see some color!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 05:37 PM

It would be a fair amount of driving but not impossible. I would guess 4-5 hours to Stowe and then maybe 7 or 8 from Stowe depending on which part of the Cape you are going to. There should be *some* color as far north as Stowe, but I am not sure exactly how much since that is a little early--I believe--even up there. You will definitely not see any color to speak of on the way up--just too early in the season. At the *end* of your Cape week is a better leaf viewing time. I would check with the VT tourism to see about when the leaves start to change. I am not sure how much the fact that you would be travelling on a week-end might lengthen those time estimates.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank- you for your reply. We have now changed our plans a bit on the advise of a friend who used to live in Mass. We will now cut Boston out by one day.We will leave Fri. morning,having Sat.open and then Late Sunday for Mashpee, Cap Cod. We are now going to N.H.I am looking into the town of Franconia to stay. Is it possible then, on early Sunday morning to drive through (so to speak)some part of Vermont and then make our way to Cape Cod? Is this to much driving or idiotic thinking?? I am from Calif. so when someone says it takes 4- 5 hours we think that is not alot!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:04 AM

This is a little confusing. If you are going to be in Franconia NH, you still want to drive to Vt for an afternoon? The Franconia area will have similar foliage to Vermont.Franconia is more rugged and less agricultural than typical Vermont, and beautiful in a different way. Driving from Fanconia to Vermont and then driving to the Cape would be a little like driving from Oregon to California to get to Washington
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

I guess it was "idiot" thinking .I guess i just want to see it all in to short of a time frame.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They've had a lot of rain this summer and not much sun, I'm not sure if that means early colors or late colors.............
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Oh, Clark, please don't tell me the colors may be early, please I'm begging you don't break my heart I'll be there in mid-October.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Mother Nature hasn't told us whether the foliage will be early or late..lol
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:19 PM

You really can't tell with foliage. It's even harder to forecast than the weather. One recent year was extra-dry, the trees were all stressed, and in mid-August an early foliage season was forecast. THEN September was wetter than usual and the peak turned out to be late that year!!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM

My recommendation would be to book accomodations in St. Johnsbury, VT. You'll have to go farther north, most likely, to see colors that early.

Driving from Boston to St. Johnsbury would be just under three hours. St. Johnsbury to Mashpee would be about four hours.

Once in St. Johnsbury, you could check the foliage reports to determine where to drive. The very best way to enjoy the foliage is to get in the car and drive around.

You could head for the White Mountains in NH east on Route 2, then south on Route 16 (or take the by-pass to avoid the traffic), west on 302, then north on I-93 back to St. Johnsbury. This can easily be done in a day with lots of stops along the way if you like. And, that route takes you through many of the breathtaking notches, notably Crawford.

Or, if there is more color in Vermont, you could head north on I-91, over to Route 100 south, to I-89, to Route 2 back to St. Johnsbury. An alternate route would be to head for the quintessential New England towns in the Northeast Kingdom (do a websearch, the photos will make your heart leap) of Vermont, just northwest of St. Johnsbury.