Reload this Page >

Another Boston Question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 11:34 AM
Susan

So I'm off to Boston next Thursday (Cannot Wait!!) and the one thing I haven't gotten info on from this board is the T. Easy to hop on/hop off? Cheap? Clean? I'm hoping to just pop my car in a garage and not get in it again until Sunday. I'm staying on Devonshire in the Financial Dist and know I will be heading to Newbury Street, Boston Commons, and the Museum of Science. Are these accessable from the T? Also, if anyone knows of the best (a.k.a CHEAPEST) place to park for the weekend that would be a big plus too! thanks for your help...!

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 12:15 PM
teresa

I can't answer your question about the parking but here is a website about the subway and the visitor pass. I used the T last year and found it easy (once you understood how the map works) -- coming from Mississippi -- no concept of a subway.

http://www.mbta.com/ticketbooth/passes/visitor/

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 12:30 PM
Cantab

Suzy: You are very smart not to drive in Boston!

The T is so easy to master it's almost an insult to the intelligence. There are only 4 lines: red, green, blue and orange. The trickiest part is knowing which direction to take. Each platform will say what the last stop on the line is, and will also say "Inbound" or "Outbound." Inbound means going towards the center of the city, marked by four T stations: Government Center (where the green meets the blue; Park (or "Pahk") Stree, where the red meets the green; Downtown Crossing, orange meets red; and State Street, orange meets blue. Outbound means going to the edges of the city. The Green line splinters a lot going outbound, so if you're getting on it (ie to go to the Museum of Fine Arts) check carefully to get on the right one (A,B,C,D or E).

The stations are well-marked, you goes down, you buys your tokens (85 cents a ride), you puts your token in the slot and go through the turnstile. It's cleaner than the New York subway, not as clean as D.C.

I'm not sure what stop your hotel would be, but am guessing it's on the orange line, probably Downtown Crossing or State St. For the Boston Commons, get to Park St (green, red) or Boyleston (green). For Newbury St, Arlington (also green). The Museum of Science is at Science Park (green). Except for the Science Museum, you could even walk it. Boston's a very walkable city.

There's a comprehensive website, I think it's www.mbta.com, it will definitely come up if you search for mbta or Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority.

You'll have to look to someone else for parking info-the 20 years I lived in the Boston area I always just took the T.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 12:36 PM
Eric

The T is really easy to use and very cheap (85 cents a ride). However, it closes around midnight so you may need to take a cab if you stay out late. There is an inexpensive parking lot near the new federal courthouse (close to where you are staying) but I do not know if you can leave the car there overnight. Have fun!

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 07:43 PM
sara

The T is definately the best way to get around in the city. I know that there is a large parking garage next to the Alewife Station in Cambridge at the northwest end of the red line (about a 20 minute subway ride from downtown Boston), I think they charge maybe $4.00 per day, perhaps more for overnight parking. Availability depends on what time you are trying to park, it fills up in the morning with commuters, but spaces start opening up in the afternoon and usually there is no problem by late afternoon or early evening. I think there is also another big parking garage at the other end of the red line in Quincy or maybe Braintree. The Boston Yellow Pages list these 2 phone numbers for MBTA Customer Service and Travel Information: 1-800-392-6100 or 617-222-3200, maybe they can give you the information you need or direct you to where you can find it. The number for the Mass. Office of Travel and Tourism is 617-727-3201, they might also be able to help you. Good luck, and have a great time - Boston's a beautiful city.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 12:53 PM
ellen

My suggestion on parking is that you contact your hotel and ask if they can give you some suggestions and prices per day. Alewife station - as well as the one in Braintree - may be cheap - but neither are located anywhere near downtown and can be tricky to find if you dont know the area very well. If you happen to be approaching Boston from Route 2, Alewife is fairly handy just before you reach the Fresh Pond area. My pick would be the under Common garage right smack in the middle of the city
Note: this garage is low-ceilinged and not SUV friendly!
A final note: PLEASE dont run around calling ANYTHING the Boston Commons - might just as well hang a "kick me I'm a tourist sign" around your neck - you will be strolling through the Boston Common - there's just one of them - and just one in every town in New England!
Have a blast - you'll be in the middle of Red Sox craziness (depending upon which Thursday you're arriving) - Boston games are scheduled this coming Saturday and Sunday I think - make sure you get that cah pahked before then!!