Search

Another &%#@ honeymoon post

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another &%#@ honeymoon post

Hello all!
My fiance and I are planning a non-traditional honeymoon following our June 9th wedding. We would like to stay in the contiguous States and stay within our limited budget. (I'm thinking no more than $3000 total, although this is debatable.)

We would definitely like to relax and be pampered, but don't want to waste a week getting sloshed by a pool bar; we like to explore!

Can any budding travel agents suggest a unique locale, a great resort, an interesting hotel, or a favorite region? We're open to all suggestions.
(We live in the Mid-Atlantic, so we'd like to go somewhere new.)

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:01 PM

Well, how about the Southwest? New Mexico or Arizona seem good, but it could be hot in southern AZ. You could do a spa resort in Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon, combined with a couple of days at the Grand Canyon.

Or Santa Fe, where there are a million places to drive to and explore, and lots to do in town, too. A nice hotel with a spa and pool. Or Santa Fe with Chimayo or Taos or all three.

Either of those trips would be great, with tons to see and do, romantic settings and plenty of places for romantic stays.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM

what about sonoma and napa? you could also do yosemite whilst up there.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:10 PM

My top three honeymoon spots in the contigious US would be Charleston, SC, a very romantic city with great history, delicious food, day spas and lots of great sites to see on foot. It may be a bit hot in June. San Antonio, TX came to mind, very beautiful and romantic as well, I would recommend staying at the Watermark on the river, fabulous brand new hotel with an incredible spa, again, it will be hot in June. Santa Barbara or Monterey are two wonderful beach towns in California, both very, very pretty and romantic. I'd love to help more if you decide to go with any of these locations! Congrats on your engagement.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM
TahitiTams

I would do a combo pack of Catalina Island and either San Diego/La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Palm Springs, Sedona or San Francisco...3 nights in Avalon at The Inn on Mt.Ada and explore gorgeous Catalina and then Boat, then fly or drive to the other destinations for a wonderful time..
San Diego/La Jolla I would do the Sealodge Hotel or maybe the Grande Colonial Hotel in LJ..
Laguna Beach, I would do Surf n Sand
Palm Springs/Indian Wells, I would do
Miramonte Resort
Sedona, The Enchantment Resort or maybe the Hilton
San Francisco, The St. Francis Hotel
There might be moments of getting sloshed by the pool bar..
Congrat's Ms. Love!

ljbtc.com
thegrandecolonial.com
surfandsandresort.com
westinstfrancis.com
enchantmentresort.com
catalina.com/mtada
catalinaexpress.com
catalina.com

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 03:51 AM

Hubby and I spent a week in the honeymoon mecca of Montreal. We really had a great time! It's like going to Europe but with a two-hour flight.

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
San Francisco. It is a very nice city that is unique. I think the variety of restaurants and things to do make it a romantic and interesting place to visit.
For pool side vacations, southern california may be nicer, La Jolla-SanDiego area. Coronado Island....
I also think the idea of Canada, where you can still get more for your money would be neat. Quebec and Montreal would be a nice honeymoon with french flair!
Good luck
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
How much time do you have?

Assuming you have at least a week, I agree with some of the above recommendations. We spent our honeymoon in Yosemite, Napa/Sonoma Valley and San Fran and had a wonderful time.

Charleston, SC is very romantic, especially if you stay at the Wentworth Mansion. You could also include Savana. But it will be hot then.

If you wanted to go north of the border, the Canadian Rockies in and around Banff offer unmatched scenery and tranquility. It's one of those "got to see it to believe it places". Hiking is very good, too. The weather would be perfect then. The Canadian board here could help you plan that trip.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Just got back from Montreal and Quebec City and found them both very romantic. The food is divine, it's europe without the euro and you can spare yourselves a rental car.
I posted a trip report which includes two very great and very affordable lodgings. Our train ride round trip from Montreal-Quebec was around $170 for 2.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:30 AM

If you havent yet been to Yellowstone, you won't be sorry if you go there.

The New England states are gorgeous, a car trip around Vermont, Massachusetts, the Maine Coast would be fantastic.

Banff was a great idea. San Francisco, too, or Sonoma/Napa, though that area is so expensive.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:35 AM

It all depends on what you like of course. The above suggestions are great. The most romantic time my Dh and I have ever had was when we flew to New Orleans, rented a convertible and drove up through "plantation" country. Some great B&B's along the Mississippi, then after3 or 4 days return the car and spent 3 nights in a really plush French Quarter Inn just eating and well....all those fun things you can only do in Nawlins!

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:40 AM

You might want to consider the San Juan Islands. At that time of year, they are absolutely beautiful. You can easily explore the islands by ferry. Orcas Island has some great places to stay. You could even visit Victoria on Vancouver Island.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:41 AM

thank you for writing fiance and not fiancee. Nobody knows the difference these days!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I think San Francisco would fit the bill. The weather is awesome, the city is beautiful and you will definitely get the opportunity to explore because there are so many areas to check out. We didn't stay at a "honeymoon" type hotel, so I can't make recs there, but I think it would be in your overall budget. While I have never been to Montreal that also sounds like a great idea and the exchange rate in
Canada is favorable.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM

We spent our honeymoon in New Orleans - and I just made plane reservations to go back for our 5th anniversary We found it to be quite romantic with plenty to do and see. The food was excellent and there was nightlife and entertainment if we wanted it - the whole spectrum from live jazz in a small bar to the craziness of bourbon st. We spent a week there with 2 day trips out of the city - one to visit a couple plantations and one to Bayou Barataria to take a boat ride. This time around, we are planning to take a few days and do a side trip - most likely through cajun country.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM

While I do so love New Orleans in June and nearly mid June it will be unsufferably hot and humid!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Any of the areas mentioned in California would be incredible; my first choice would be San Francisco and Yosemite.
Another option could be Seattle/Vancouver. THat is a very cool area!
You can't go wrong with any of the places listed!
Have fun!!!