Anniversary Trip to SF and Sonoma

Oct 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Anniversary Trip to SF and Sonoma

Am planning our 10th year anniv. trip and want to do it right. Have no idea about SF and Sonoma and we have kid coverage in June or July only. Is that a bad time to go? If not, we want some very nice recs for accommodations in both areas since this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for us. Don't mind driving either. Thanks for all of your advice in advance!
Oct 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Awhile back, I posted my recommendations for San Francisco, and also a drive up north that goes through Marin, Sonoma, and Napa counties. Here it is again
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35129049

I assume you really mean Sonoma County, and not just the city of Sonoma. If so, I would stay at the Healdsburg Hotel or Madrona Manor - both in Healdsburg. The Healdsburg Hotel is directly on the town square, has spa facilities and a good restaurant. The Madrona Manor is outside of town by less than 5 mins driving, and is a grand Queen Anne Victorian mansion, and also has a good restaurant. For an anniversary dinner, I would dine at Cyrus in Healdsburg - perhaps the best meal I've experienced in the Bay Area in the last 10 years (dined at French laundry more than 10 years ago). The tasting menu is about $135 per person.

If you want to splurge in San Francisco, I would stay at the Ritz Carlton - and dine there also - perhaps one of my top 3 restaurants in SF.

Stu Dudley
Oct 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Great recs by Stu of course. I would only add that if you want a perched on the coast experience, consider one night at the Harbor House which is south of Mendocino. If you have enough time, the drive to Mendocino from Healdsburg is lovely with wineries along the way and then I'd drive back along the coastline. For a shorter trip, I'd skip that.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM

Or stay at the Honor Mansion, also in Healdsburg. We have stayed there twice and although I don't frequent this area as much as StuDudley does (or at least from his posts), I found the place charming and lovely. Took our niece up there in May after her graduation from Berkeley for her "Post-Grad" work and had a blast!
Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM

I just stayed in Healdsburg in May and I LOVED it.

I stayed at the Honor Mansion. To me it was just okay. Very expensive and it is located on a busy road so you do hear tons of car noise constantly.

If I were to go back to Healdsburg again I would stay right in the center of town at the Healdsburg Inn. We check it out and it looks lovely.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM

I don't know the Honor Mansion but the Healdsburg Hotel is very cool and hip and well located. Madrona Manor is an opposite style of old world elegance, lush and gorgeous and out of town, tucked away. Both are great choices; depends on your style preferences. They are both upscale high-end but in very different ways. I personally would have a hard time choosing because I like both styles and both locations.
Oct 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Healdsburg and the wine area of Dry Creek Valley is my favorite NorCal wine tasting area. My recommendations are here:
http://www.nextstop.com/guide/s3Kzmku49pM/

I live in SF and this is some of the stuff I would recommend to a visitor:
http://www.nextstop.com/guide/TzRITFx9Wns/
Oct 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM

OK, OK...I have posted a similar note on other San Francisco inquiries but your anniversary deserves this for consideration:

Go to North Beach and have dinner at the North Beach Restaurant (Italian...also many other restaurants in the area, walk ~1/2 block and go to see "Beach Blanket Babylon"...a true San Francisco Institution and a great deal of fun...after the show walk ~1/2 block and go to Caffe Puccini or Caffe Grecco for a nightcap of expresso, whatever.

This will be an evening you will remember!