Anniversary Trip this December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning a 25th anniversary trip for late December (~5 days). TOTALLY open to destinations in the US but am leaning toward a National Park out West. We're looking for a place to snuggle in front of the fireplace with a nice glass of wine after spending the day outdoors or visiting interesting city sites. We love beautiful scenery, walking and hiking, watching wildlife, relaxing, good food, museums, walking tours, music, theater. Would like to go somewhere where there is snow but not interested in downhill skiing - maybe snowshoeing or cross country where there are no crowds but wonderful scenery. Not interested in 'touristy' activities - not a tightwad but like to spend wisely. Have free airfare from Atlanta. Did NYC, San Fran, Seattle, Alaska lately so rule those out. You helped plan a FANTASTIC 10-day NYC trip for us - am looking forward to your suggestions!
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yosemite/the Ahwahnee comes immediately to mind - but it books up far ahead for the Christmas/New Years period.

But your post confuses me a bit. You say you are leaning towards a National Park out west -- but then mention wanting city sites, museums, music, theater?
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 10:13 AM

We decided on Keystone Colorado this year for our December anniversary. We thought of Aspen, but ouch that might hurt$$$$, so we have got a room at the historic Ski Tip Lodge and a dinner sleigh ride planned, as well as a dinner at the Ski tip reserved instead. Sounds like Breckenridge and Vail are possible day trips so we have lots to look forward to seeing. It sounds like it meets some of your criteria althgh it is not in California if that is that you meant by "West".
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

No - just open to either possibility. I know it'll have to be one or the other once I get some more information. My parents hit many Parks (Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon...) this summer and we've never done that type vacation before. Looking at posts from earlier years, worried about snow making travel difficult in the more remote areas so that's why a city would be an option instead. Yosemite sounds beautiful as does Glacier NP in Montana and Yellowstone in Wyoming but having lived in the South all my life, don't know how feasible those would be in late December.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Just checked the Ahwahnee - you're right - all booked...
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM
MaureenB

Crested Butte, Colorado
>-

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Hi Anita,

Hmmm, a visit to Jackson and Yellowstone might be nice for you. Jackson has many galleries and excellent restaurants and a fabulous wildlife museum. There are lots of nice winter activities besides skiing, xcountry, snowshoeing, dogsled rides, the National Elk Refuge, snowmobiling into Yellowstone.

Maybe fly into Jackson, spend a couple nights there. Then drive up to West Yellowstone and go into the park from there. You can go in on a day trip via snowmobile, or overnight and stay at the Snow Park Lodge at Old Faithful. Transport into the park is available by snowcoaches too (heated vehicles on tank tracks/skis).

Just a thought!
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Fly into Bozeman and stay at Chico Hot Springs which will give you access into the northern end of Yellowstone National Park for the wildlife and skiing or Bozeman for the Museum of the Rockies, shopping, and nightlife. Chico has a wonderful restaurant and a better outdoor hot springs pool.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM

ITA on Chico Hot Springs. A great place with a variety of rooms for all budgets. The main ding room was great for both dinner and breakfast. We were there twice in 2003, and I want to get back soon.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:42 AM

dining room, not ding room, LOL.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM

ding room, lol
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM

Hi Suzie, my west coast bud. I think I need a 3rd cup today. ;-)
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:18 AM

Or maybe an Irish coffee from the Buena Vista.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM

As a gal who just celebrated my 25th may I say that the Ahwahnee isn't the only nice place in Yosemite?

I think the Tenaya Lodge is really nice and the luxury suites have fireplaces. And if I remember correctly the lobby and the mezzanine lobby have big fireplaces. (Hey I could be wrong but I know those areas have nice furnishings)

Also how about this:
http://www.elderberryhouse.com/cdsMain.html

Congrats on 25!

http://www.tenayalodge.com/accommodations.aspx
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM

We went to Erna's Elderberry House for our anniversary once. I told my husband "How much could a pice fix be"? Wow!!!!. Dinner was lovely and they even scripted our name in our dessert. I think we were the only ones in the place in early December. We stayed at Bass Lake that trip. It was much more affordable than the Erna's lodging. We still talk about that meal though. It was the last time I read the $$$ rating so casually without a call!

I agree about the Awahnee not being the only acceptable lodging. We have stayed at Tenaya lodge too, but right across the lot there is the Apple Creek Lodge. They are newer condominiums with a foresty feel. They have gas fireplaces and there is a indoor pool on the grounds. They serve a mess hall type breakfast. They are more reasonable that Tenaya and if you already are so far from the valley floor, it might just suit you as well. I don't know though, we have had some flooding in recent winters. I sure would not like to see you come all that way and be flooded out of the valley.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM

There was flooding in December? Wow I thought that only happened when the snow melted in April and May.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:55 AM

The rain can melt the snow and then the flooding is apossibility. It is an amazing sight, but a little frustrating when you can not get around!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Timberline Lodge is just east of Portland. OR by 90 minutes. You mention having a nice glass of wine with a fire. This lodge has it. So much history and the most snowfall of any resort in the US. Check out their website.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM

The first place that came to mind when reading your post was Santa Fe, New Mexico. It has the museums, theater, music, great food and a range of hotel options that you asked for, as well as beautiful western scenery, and plenty of nearby outdoor activities. The lighted farolitos around all the adobe structures make it really festive at that time of year. You can make side trips to Rancho de Chimayo, Taos and more.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Many great suggestions here; I'll add another. We have been to Zion National Park many times and love it there. For us, it is highly romantic, especialy if you have a room facing the incredible canyon walls. Some rooms have a fireplace. We enjoy a 2nd floor unit with covered balcony so we can bundle up and sip our wine gazing at the magnificent red walls and waterfalls - as well as enjoy a beautiful storm with thunder and lightening! Or snow! My husband also loves the rustic cabins with stone fireplace. (Zion Lodge is inside the park). There is a shuttle loop and numerous walking trails. Beautiful in every season! Nice dining room with walls of glass looking toward the red walls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -