Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

anniversary exploration for possible relocation

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I currently live in the traffic congested DC metro area. He is an artist and we have lived in this area our whole lives. We've been researching places to live in New England and narrowed it down to Washington County, NY (even though we've never been there). We're planning on taking a trip mid-to-late August for our anniversary, but also to explore the area to see if we want to move there. We don't really want to do touristy things, I've read enough about the surrounding area to determine there is lots to do. We just want to act like locals. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding a good place to stay. We don't have a lot of money, so our lodging budget is preferrably around $80 or less a night if possible. I don't want to stay in Albany if I can avoid it. I'd rather stay at a B&B to live like the locals. Does anyone know of any nicely decorated (if possible not flowery/southwestern) affordably priced places to stay in Washington County or nearby VT (e.g. Poultney, Bennington, etc)? We've never stayed at a B&B before and I usually book online. In your opinion is it better to book ahead or just go and look around? We'll only have about 3 days to explore. Does anyone from this area have any recommendations for those looking to relocate. In particular, a good real estate agent, good restaurants to eat at, etc. We'd like at least one romantic night out on the town though. I saw in previous post someone went on hot air balloon ride in Glen Falls. As my husband is an artist, www.paulkeysar.com, are there any good art galleries (no modern/abstract) in the area that we can go to?

If we do end up in Albany, does anyone have any suggestions for good lodging/restaurants in that area (can be outside city)?

I've looked online at about all the area B&B's and lodges and am overwhelmed. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:25 PM
JCE

As a native New Englander, we are offended when people confuse New York with out great region. They have the Yankees,that should be enough.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:37 PM

What JCE said. Vermont is in New England, New York isn't.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Ok, technicals. I know on the map NY is considered mid-Atlantic, VT New England. But since NY is on CA border and upstate NY is much like New England. I call it New England. Get over it. I care nothing about NYC or the Yankees. Anyways, I didn't even call NY New England, I said we researched New England and picked Washington County, NY (after going through MA, NH, RI, VT). But we're still open. We just want a place with low taxes, good for artists, in central location to travel to beach, Canada, Boston, etc. If you want to help me, then please do. Thanks.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:46 PM
JCE

jkeysar...It's a joke. If you lived here you would get it. I thought the icon would relate the attempt at humor,poor attempt,as it was recieved.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard Saratoga Springs is a really artsy community.

That said, I would strongly urge you all to make at least two trips to the area before you consider relocating. One trip to enjoy your anniversary and another to investigate the nits and grits of actually living there. Staying in a B&B is not living like the locals. This is a huge change of venue for two people who have lived in metro DC all their lives.

I know this isn't the kind of info you were looking for but at a minimum this will move your message up to the top where more informed people can respond to it.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:00 PM
GoTravel

It seems though you may have a highly romanticized idea of where you would like to live. Have you considered the amenities you will be giving up by moving to a small community? Little to no public transportation, less ethnicities, etc. Any area with a large art community usually means desirable location which leads to high cost of living (think the Village in the late sixties through now or Asheville, NC or New Mexico). I'm certainly not trying to be mean about the situation so please forgive if I come across as so.

My suggestion would be to get in the car and start driving. You can always camp a couple of nights to keep your travel expenses to a minimum. You may find some wonderful place to live that meets all of your criteria. Good luck!

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:14 PM

"upstate NY is much like New England. I call it New England. Get over it. . . . If you want to help me, then please do."

Um, wow, nope.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:36 PM

Jkeysar, it's not a mere technicality, it's a matter of accuracy and local pride. Do you, perchance, live in Maryland and correct people who call it "Silver Springs"? If someone refers to where you live as the Deep South, don't you think that makes them sound idiotic? And if they told you to "get over it," would you at all be inclined to help them? First lesson in "acting like locals": learn the region.

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:45 PM

jkeysar, I know exactly how you feel about the traffic down in the DC area, not to mention the taxes. That is why, after thirty years in Fairfax Station, we moved to the Shenandoah Valley four years ago. Have you ever driven through the small towns of Strasburg, Woodstock, Edinburg, Mt Jackson, or New Market on rte 11? Or driven rte 42 south from Woodstock down to Clifton Forge? Remarkable country and you don't have to go all the way to NY. Come on out and have a look. I-66 to I-81 south to the first exit in Strasburg.

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Lola

A novel way to request help.
Someone needs to "get over" the bad attitude.

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:58 PM
LN

Hi

I checked your hubby's site and was quite impressed with the works shown there along with the credentials. I would hate to see an artist of his ability leave the state of Md to go to NY or a New England state. Perhaps thee are areas within the same state that would give you what you're searching for and still be close enough to family and good friends. Western Maryland has many of the attributes of the region that you've been looking at.

I wish you luck in your endeavor cause "it ain't easy living and driving in the DC area" Ronkala and I both know this well. The one thing that makes up for it is the friendliness of the people.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Yeah that's real friendly to act ignorant and then tell people to "get over it". The hypocrisy inside the beltway must be spreading.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

I apologize for my rudeness, was having a bad day. I always thought NY was in New England, until few weeks ago. I know shouldn't call Buffalo New England, but since Washington County is right on border of VT and our goal is to explore New England, don't see harm in saying thinking of moving to New England area to people who don't know region. We're up to anywhere in that area, just haven't found anywhere with good help for artists, and low cost of living except upstate NY. We have lived in VA and hated it (high taxes, government, etc) and we've been down 66/81 many times, so we want something new. It's hard to stay in one place when you want to experience everything, but I'm sure we'll move back to MD because it is home. Down 81 is nice, but New England is an area we are not really familiar with that has a lot to do and a centralized location for Montreal, Boston, NYC, beaches, mountains, etc. We want an area more secluded, but still near things to do. Not one to make rash decisions we'll probably look around a lot before going ahead and making the move. For now just need advice on Washington County and mid-to-southern VT area. I've heard Saratoga Springs is nice, but it's track season then and the hotels have raised their prices. Once again sorry for offending with the NY is New England. Didn't mean entire state, but to someone who doesn't know the area, don't see the harm in saying we want to move to New England when we're more interested in seeing MA, VT, RI, ME, NH, etc, but might have to live right over the line. I tell people that don't know our area we live in DC area even though we're outside the beltway. Just helps them associate better. If you know another area in New England that is nice, we'd appreciate the help in making a decision. Thanks.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:38 AM
E

Wow, this thread went down fast!

I know nothing about this topic, and I do agree that jkeysar was a bit rude, but she has also asked several legitimate questions, at least IMHO. So I'm topping this in the hope that someone who has gotten over it can answer them.

Visualize whirled peas.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Jkeysar - might want to check out a website - www.findyourspot.com By no means scientific, but you can fill out the questionnaire with art venues, near ocean, small size, New England, etc. to see where your "perfect spot" might be. If nothing else, it's fun.

Any hey, we all have our bad days. (My 13 year old has them 365 days a year.)
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:56 AM

While not that far north , the NY Hudson Valley has some lovely small towns, lower cost of living and great artist communities.
Also across the border into Mass, you will find artsy communities.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:07 AM

Okay jkeysar, I had time on my hands and checked out findyourspot... Came up with a few interesting places:

Williamstown MA. "According to Conoissuier" magazine, more art here per capita than any other city in the US." Home to art museums. Sterling and Francine Art Museum (one of the largest collections of Renoirs') and Williams College Museum of Art. Pop. 8,000. 45 minutes to Albany.

Major negative - average house is $180K.

Middlebury VT - Progressive College town. Pop. 8500. Listed #12 on the top 100 Best Small Art Towns in the US.

Okay, I can go on, but I'll have to charge for my service. ;-)
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:22 AM

I can second Middlebury. Very cute, small college town. I've always been a fan of Burlington (although some people disagree) You have the lake, a great college atmosphere, fairly artsy. But I think it might be a bit pricey to live there. Not sure though.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Not familiar with exactly where Washington County is, but Woodstock, NY has a fairly large art community. Also, I think, the area around Poughkeepsie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -