Reload this Page >

Anniversary dinner in Boston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Miles

A few months ago, I seem to remember someone asked about a nice romantic place for a special anniversary dinner in Boston. I have searched on "Boston" and "anniversary" and found nothing (how far back does Fodor's keep old threads?).

We'll be in Boston for our own anniversary soon, and I would like to take my wife to a special place, not necessarily 5-star over-the-top for price or haute cuisine but with atmosphere and maybe a harbor or city view. Can anyone suggest their favorite special place (or find that old thread?)?

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 06:52 AM
P. Thompson

The Bay Tower room is very elegant and offers a spectacular view from the 33rd floor (some where in that number).

The 4 Seasons Hotel also has a wonderful restaurant.

Morton's of Chicago is also very good.

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Audrey

I do vaguely remember that post; one of the suggestions was the Ritz Rooftop. I don't know when your anniversary is, but I tried to make reservations at the Ritz, and learned they are booked through the end of September(and then it will turn cold and it will close!). Donna, a frequent poster, knows Boston like the back of her hand; hopefully she'll respond.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Jen

Rowes Wharf Restaurant in Boston Harbor Hotel is very good with a nice view of the harbor. Quiet, elegant.

If you want a tiny, romantic restaurant, try Truc in the South End on Tremont Street. Note, very short menu (5 entrees, 5 mains), but good French - ask to sit in the Greenhouse room - small, 4 talbe room of the back overlooking a small garden. No city view or anything like that, just romantic.

Check www.foodline.com and look under Boston - great web site with good search engine and menus for most restaurants in Boston.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 01:00 PM
CHarles

I like to second Truc in the garden room. For the rest, what is your price range? And what do you like, aside from views?

The restaurant at Boston Harbor hotel is superb, aand overlooks the water, but is VERY expensive.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 01:04 PM
Kat

Top of the Hub at Prudential for the view!

Or the very romantic Upstairs at the Pudding in Harvard Sq -- not much of a view though... but you can bring her to the rotating Spinnaker at Hyatt's on Memorial Drive for a after-dinner drink

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 02:54 PM
Miles

You are all so helpful! FYI, price range: Can go over $100 for the two of us (bear in mind only one of us can drink, so wine etc. isn't a big part of the tab), but as we near $150. I start to get nosebleeds. I know it's quite possible to spend $200/couple at many places in Beantown, but I'd like to think some fancy wines would be half that bill!

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 03:14 PM
Christina

both Olive's in Charlestown and Elephant Walk in Somerville are in definitely under $100 for two people; both have way interesting menus, superb food (Olive's is my favorite restaurant in all of New England), and atmosphere--funky booths and good service.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Parrot Mom

A harbor view, a romantic dinner..if it's gong to be soon make reservations for the Odessey for a dinner cruise around Boston Harbor..quite elegant, dinner music and dancing..and your tour of Boston Harbor at night (mention it's your anniverary when you book)...forget the Bay Tower...

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Donna

I'd second the recommendations for the Bay Tower Room and Rowe's Wharf. The Bay Tower Room has an orchestra on the mezzanine (be sure to have your waiter waive the cover charge if you've dined there), and there's excellent jazz in the lounge at Rowe's Wharf. Best of the best would be the roof of the Ritz, though. This is one sublime experience. Unlike most "romantic" restaurants in Boston, this one is more subdued (much quieter conversation). I don't recall the prix fixe prices (they'll happily tell you if you call), but, trust me on this, it's worth every penny. The meal is nicely paced, lovingly prepared, beautifully presented, and really delicious! The orchestra is one of the best I've ever heard. And, it's great fun to watch folks who really know ballroom dancing. You'll forget the expense long before the experience, which is unforgettable. Or, you could have dinner elsewhere and go for drinks and dancing later on (check for the time). We love cocktails at the top of the Hyatt Regency, and the music there is nice and not too loud. There's also big band music weekends in the lounge at the Colonnade Hotel. Regarding Top of the Hub, it's best to go there at dusk for before dinner drinks and watch the sunset. Unless you're some sort of celebrity or dignitary your view will be of a pillar. Reports are that they even save the best dining tables "in case" more important folks turn up that often go empty. You can access Zagat's right on the web (www.zagat.com). Other good resources are www.phantomgourmet.com and www.boston.citysearch.com. For something new and different, you may want to try the amazing Persian food at Lala Rokh near Beacon Hill. Very romantic dining rooms. The waitstaff is very nice about explaining everything on the menu. And, the prices are fairly reasonable for a really fine meal. The new Sel de Terre (which we plan to try in a few weeks) is receiving raves and more raves and is beautiful inside. It's right by the Aquarium, nice for a moonlit stroll along the harbor after. One of latest favorites, though, is Abe & Louie's on Boylston. It's billed as a "steakhouse", but sure doesn't seem like one to us. The rooms are beautifully appointed (love the see-into kitchen with the huge Renoir on the wall). The menu is extensive, with fairly moderate prices, and everything is wonderfully prepared and presented. We love this place. Reminds me of the fine but not stuffy restaurants in Europe. If you book far ahead, there are some great overnight rates available at Le Meridien. The formal restaurant, Julien, could not be nicer. A fabulous evening is to get tickets to Symphony Hall and take advantage of the "Symphony Package" wwhich includes a three course dinner and private transport to Symphony Hall and back (you don't have to be an overnight guest), for a surprisingly reasonable price. The piano bar across from Julien is very comfortable with a terrific pianist (who'll play all your requests - he knows ours and starts our "list" as soon as he sees us). For your next special anniversary, though, you may want to consider a trip to Montreal. So many romantic restaurants and you can dine very well and very reasonably there with the exchange rate.