Search

Anna Maria Island

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Sarah

Anna Maria Island

Has anyone stayed at the Bungalow Beach Resort on Anna Maria Island? I am about to book and would appreciate someones opinion. Also, what are the beaches on the island like - we will be visiting at Christmas. Can anyone recommend particular restaurants etc.
Many thanks.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Diane

I'm afraid I can't recommend hotel or restaurants, as we always stayed at Granny's house. But the beaches are nice. This is a comfortable, family-type island and we always enjoyed it.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 01:52 PM
cmcdaniel

Sarah...For lunch try the Sandbar Restaurant. It is right on the Gulf with outdoor dining on a small veranda at the edge of a small white sand beach. Your view as you dine is just turquoise blue water. We fell on this restaurant one day when we just were roaming around (we live in Tampa) and what a find. Food is even good, service friendly and prices reasonable. We later learned that this is owned by one of the son's of former Gov Chiles.

For dinner the Beach Bistro is the "in" spot with a great reputation. We were at a charity function where dinner with limo ride down from Tampa was auctioned off and bidding was fast and furious for it. It's very small and you'll need reservations well in advance.

The beaches on Anna Maria are generally nice but "shallow". This island has been affected by considerable erosion but a renourishment project is scheduled. Actually, I find the narrower beaches more attractive...as long as my house doesn't fall in! Water is beautiful there.

I'm not familiar with your particular resort. Have you seen pictures? Anna Maria is not the sort of place that lends itself to something that bills itself as a resort. This is not Longboat Key, this is old Florida. It's laid back and casual but close enough to the glitz and glitter of Sarasota and Longboat that you have all that too if you wish it.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 02:37 AM
Sarah

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it - more advice/info gratefully received if anyone has it!

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 02:39 AM
Sarah

Actually CMCDaniel - what is 'old Florida' - how does it compare to 'new Florida'. We have stayed on Sanibel - how does Anna Maria Island compare to this, do you know?

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 05:10 AM
cmcdaniel

Sarah...by old Florida, I mean Florida before rapid development altered beachfronts from areas with dunes, sea oats and old cottages to areas with seawalls, condos with manicured lawns--high rise or not. This sort of development is just now beginning in Anna Maria. As you drive along you'll see some huge new homes standing on a site previously occupied by an older cottage--or two. The development isn't necessarily bad, but the different sides of FL, old and new, appeal to different people. The people who book Longboat Key Club probably wouldn't book anything on Anna Maria, even though they are only a few miles apart.

Because Anna Maria does have a problem with beach erosion, they hopefully will never get the high rise condos and although the new homes really are beautiful, within 5 years I'm quite sure the Anna Maria that some people love just won't exist.

Anna Maria is far less touristy than Sanibel. There aren't as many restaurants or shops as there are on Sanibel...but you are only 10 minutes or so from Sarasota and St. Armands Circle if that's what you want and the drive to St. Armands along the barrier island is very pretty. If you love bike riding, it doesn't have the bike trails that Sanibel does, but then, neither does Captiva. The beaches are beautiful at both spots but of course Sanibel is noted for its shelling and you won't find near the variety in other areas that you can find there.

My biggest concern for you I guess is in the name of the place you are booking, as "resort" and Anna Maria do not go hand-in-hand. Most everything is very small...small guest cottages, a few small motels, but nothing that the word resort conjures up...manicured lawns, multiple activities. Do you have a brochure on the property or have you seen a web site? I would hate to have you come with expectations of one thing but find something entirely different and be disappointed. That said...this might be just exactly what you are looking for....more casual, smaller, less touristed.

Where did you stay on Sanibel? There are some great cottages there too..remnants of "old" FL...Beachview Cottages or 'Tween Waters. If you have seen and loved places like that, then you would also love Anna Maria.

Hope I've helped clarify my earlier comments some and if I can be of more help, I'd be glad to try...Carol

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 06:00 AM
cmcdaniel

I was trying to find some online info on Bungalow Beach Resort...no luck, but in my search I came across this website that has lots of info on Anna Maria and includes pictures. Thought it might be helpful in giving you a better idea what the area is like...address is:
http://www.manatee-online.com/

Enjoy! Carol

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 06:00 AM
ellie

I've been told that Anna Maria has a law that you can't build over 2 stories. Maybe that is why you don't see as many condos and larger resorts. The old FL feel also comes from no fast food restaurants and t-shirt/tourist trap shops. I was just there in Jan and again in Feb this year and loved it. The island is very layed back, has quaint, small hotels, lots of private homes for rent and very clean beaches as the others have mentioed.

Shelling is supposed to be best at the north end of the island. As far as restaurants, everywhere we ate I had good food. Try Rotten Ralph's and Levenrocks. There is a great place at the north end of the island, right on the gulf. Can't remember the name, maybe someone else can? If I remember it, I'll post it later.

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:24 AM
Pat

Sarah,

I have found a website for your resort: www.bungalowbeach.com/
It has pictures and good information. I have stayed on Anna Maria 3 times and love it there. Two restaurants that we like are Duffy's Tavern (a little hole in the wall but has great hamburgers), and Gulf Shore Diner. Hope this helps.

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:01 AM
cmcdaniel

Pat...great website...all I could come up with were places in Bali with the search engine I use. It looks like a nice place, Sarah!!

Just curious Pat...have seen your posts before and wondered about your address. Is your UT the "hook 'em horns" UT or...that other one, with similar colors...or Tampa?

Old May 1st, 2000, 11:22 AM
Sarah

Again - thank you everyone, your advice is most welcome. On Sanibel we stayed at the Blue Dolphin Resort which was wonderful, very rural and laidback. I am surprised there are not as many restaurants on Anna Maria Island as Sanbibel - we didn't find too many restaurants on Sanibel?
Thank you all again.

Old May 1st, 2000, 01:15 PM
cmcdaniel

Sarah...in thinking about your last question regarding restaurants, I realize I may have misled you, and apologize. When I said there weren't as many restaurants on Anna Maria as Sanibel, I was thinking of only the island of Anna Maria...which is equivalent, when thinking of Sanibel, to not taking Captiva into consideration at the same time...an impossibility! Because of your proximity to Sarasota, what is available there should also have been taken into consideration and in doing so, then Anna Maria probably has more of a selection, not less. Likewise with the shopping. It's just that the majority will be in Sarasota, and more specifically, the St. Armand's Circle area, than right around you. It really is an easy drive though and undoubtedly something you'll want to do regardless.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 06:41 AM
Pat

CMcDaniel:

In answer to your question: none of the above - The University of Toledo in Toledo, Ohio.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 08:46 AM
help

Here is Anna Maria Island info---do search on Anna Maria Island/Florida on Fodors..travel lounge...

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 08:15 AM
help

Just wanted to bring this to the top.