Ann Arbor lodging options

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on heading up to their art fair this July and am looking for relatively inexpensive lodging options as close to the city center as possible. I'm aware that I'm a bit late to this and that a lot of hotels/inns will already be booked, so I'm open to suggestions even if I have to stay a bit out of the 'middle of things'. I've poked around a bit online but it is hard to tell what is acceptable and close by, being that I don't really know the area that well (I've been to ann arbor twice but stayed with a friend, who incidentally no longer lives there). Do any of you fellow fodorites have any suggestions or advice on this matter?

Thank you.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:30 AM

You might try using the yahoo map of Ann Arbor, then cliking on hotels on the right sidebar under Travel & Transportation. That will overlay the locations of most of the hotels in the A2 area. Keep in mind that the Bell Tower Hotel and the Campus Inn are right in the middle of things and you can walk to all parts of the art fair from either place. Most of the hotels are on State Street near the mall and on Washtenaw Ave. towards I-23. There was a shuttle that ran from Briarwood Mall to various locations of the art fair, eliminating trying to park in town. I don't know if there is the same transportation option coming from the Washtenaw Ave. side. You won't be able to walk to the fairs from either the State Street or Washtenaw Ave. hotels. There are also a couple hotels further north on Plymouth Road. You could check with them about transportation to downtown during the art fair. Have a good time!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:18 AM

Art Fair is a huge attraction, so my first advice is get going on hotel accomodations now. The Art Fair triples the size of Ann Arbor that week. While there are any number of hotels near State and I-94 and Jackson Road/I-94 along with things north on US 23, you may find that you have to take what you can find. If there's something as close as the Bell Tower, Campus Inn or similar you are quite lucky. Vittrad, if you find a particular hotel on line feel free to e-mail me. I did undergrad there, lived there for years and go back at least 6 times a year.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM

The Campus Inn is your best bet, close to campus and the downtown area of Main Street. Bell Tower is small and tired but also close. There are several chain hotels further out - a 4 Points, Hampton Inn, Candlewood. I think they are all about the same.

If you need any other Ann Arbor recos let me know - I spent two great years there for grad school.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM

Campus Inn will be about $250 a night, so am not sure that's in your inexpensive range.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:51 AM

On the west side of town you have Webers Inn, Super 8 and Best Western (all on Jackson Road, across the steet from each other). You might check with them to see if they offer a shuttle to the art fairs. I've seen shuttle bus stops there for Michigan football games and Michigan graduation a couple weeks ago, so they might. I know Webers and Best Western have a pool if that matters to you - not sure about Super 8.

If you stay at any of the hotels in the area of State Street and I-94 you can catch the shuttle bus at Briarwood Mall.
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I found a funky little bed and breakfast called Burnt Toast Inn downtown (less than a mile away from the fair, we could walk to it, I looked at a map) that had a room that I booked. Does anyone here know anything about them?
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:44 PM

I don't know anything about it, other than to say it is a very good location relative to downtown. Somewhere in the vicinity of Main and William or Main and Liberty is the nearest end of the art fairs, and they stretch from there all the way across the downtown and campus areas, with shuttle buses available to take you around the fairs.

One note - they do indicate that street parking is available. I'm not sure if this is an area that has "residents only" parking (in which case they might be able to give you a pass), but if not, you may find trouble parking close to the place if you're trying to park during art fair hours. Locals fill up side streets hopin to avoid paying to park in the downtown structures. Still, you shouldn't have to park too far away, since you don't mind a bit of walking.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

I thought of that and emailed the owner to clarify. I thought that worst case senario is that we just pay for a garage to store the car until the evening when everyone clears out then put it on the street. I can't imagine it would be too expensive (I'm used to Chicago garage prices and parking games and don't recall Ann Arbor's being that high).

I'm looking forward to my weekend away.