Anderson Valley and Mendocino questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be stopping in the Anderson Valley for some wine tasting on our way for a vacation up the Oregon coast. We've been to Napa and Sonoma several times, but never this area.

Our plan is either for 2 nights in Mendocino, or 1 night in Cloverdale on the way up (arriving at OAK), the second day along Rt 128 for wineries and the second night staying in Mendocino.

I've been looking at the Shelford House in Cloverdale and the Blackberry Inn or Sea Gull Inn in Mendo.

So what do you think? Any suggestions? How's the food in Mendo? If we stay in Cloverdale we can hop down to Healdsburg for a great dinner!

I would love to hear your favorite budget friendly places to stay and also some restaurant recs. What are your favorite wineries?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Wm

First a couple of questions: What is your budget per night for lodging? What time does your flight arrive in Oakland?
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I had a tasty lunch at the Boonville General Store (across from the Boonville Hotel) on my visit there last spring. The Boonville Hotel is supposed to have a great restaurant as well (the chef is the son of the original owners of the French Laundry) but it's only open for dinner. The hotel itself is very cute btw.

In Mendocino, I really enjoyed my dinner at the MacCallum House. Cafe Beaujoulais was also good, as was lunch at Cafe Mendocino.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Our flight arrives early.. 9:00am. We are trying to stick to a budget under $200 a night... $150 would be even better. The dates are peak season, too. June 26 and 27 (Thursday and Friday nights).

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM

For lodging in the $150 - $200 range, check Fort Bragg which is only a few miles north of Mendocino. We had great dinners at Mendo Bistro and Chapter and Moon.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM

I've had dinner a handful of times at the Boonville Hotel, but I've never stayed there - one friend who has does warn that there can be a bit of traffic noise in the mornings. I guess there is a morning rush hour even in the bucolic Anderson Valley. Dinner has always been good, with local, seasonal produce and of course, great wines from the region. Also memorable was the hotel cat who seemed to recognize me as the sole solo diner on the patio one evening - he was congenial company throughout that meal - a true little gentleman.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Wm

May I suggest that you stay in Geyserville rather than Cloverdale, cute little town with great restaurants. I believe the Hope-Merrill House has rooms well within your price range. http://www.hope-inns.com/

It will be difficult to get a Friday night only reservation in a B&B in Mendocino or Ft Bragg. One place we love to stay that provides Friday night only reservations is the Harbor Light Lodge in Fort Bragg, quite reasonable, very clean large rooms. The view from the rooms is of the Noyo Harbor--lots of fun watching the wharf activity from your balcony while drinking a glass of Navarro Pinot. Chapter & Moon is a relatively new restaurant right on the harbor--good for breakfast.

If staying in Fort Bragg, the very best place to eat is the Rendezvous Inn on the north edge of town--as good if not better than most restaurants in Mendo. Very nice wine list.

Be sure and stop at Navarro Vineyards. A very friendly tasting room with lovely gardens where you can enjoy a picnic lunch. (There's a deli in Geyserville.) These people make wonderful wine--you'll likely be tempted to join the wine club, which has over 8,000 members to date.

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Here's a nice website detailing the winery scene in the Anderson Valley:

http://www.avwines.com/about/history.htm

Also, in Fort Bragg, the North Coast Brewing Company is a good, casual place not only for beer but for the food.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Hi abqdeb,

If attractiveness and charm are considerations, I would stay the first night in Healdsburg and the second in Mendocino. There are a number of B & Bs in both places and there should be something to fit your budget. Taking a quick look at Trip Advisor, I saw that the Seagull Inn in Mendocino has recent positive reviews and has rooms for less than $150/night,not sure if they have a two-night minimum on weekends.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Hadn't even considered Fort Bragg, but maybe we'll check it out. I'm guessing that it doesn't have the charm of Mendo. Is that correct?

Wm, Navarro is on the list of "must do's". Thanks for the tips. We stayed at the Geyserville Inn once before and it's okay. We're willing to make the short drive to Healdsburg for dinner. I guess the decision is really whether to stay in 2 different places or just one.

In Mendo, the Seagull and Blackberry both appear to have availability in our price range, but I will check out the Harbor Light House too.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wm

Mendo does have that cute-little-seaside village charm. Fort Bragg is a town that has gotten an off-spill from Mendo so the main street has a few very nice galleries and shops. We prefer staying at the Harbor Lite just because we enjoy watching the harbor. There are only a couple of B&B's in Mendo with a close water view.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Wm

Forgot to mention the Mendocino Coast Botannical Gardens in Fort Bragg, a great place to visit if you have the time. It doesn't take long to walk out to the coast through the forest--just beautiful!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM

We stayed at the Harbot Lite Lodge in Fort Bragg too, it's a bit rustic but rooms are clean and large and each has it's own harbor facing balcony. Good thing is when the glass doors to the balcony are closed, you can't hear the horns that sound every minute. Don't stay at the N. Cliff Hotel, too close ti the loud horns.

At Chapter and Moon (chef formerly was at Cafe Medocino) I had their signature dish Noyo Pot for dinner, prawns, mussels and 2 kinds of the freshest fish I have ever tasted with a fabulous sauce presented in a small black iron wok. We sat by the large window and watched the sunset over the harbor.

Just north of the town is McKerricker Park, a long boardwalk takes you to the ocean with gorgeous views of rocks in the water.

2nd the botanical gardens, really enjoyed it.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM

We had great meals at Zin, Charcuterie, and Willie's (seafood) in Healdsburg.

We also loved some of the Alexander Valley wineries we visited. Favorites:

Robert Young
White Oak Vineyards

Dry Creek Valley is very close--west, just across the highway. There we really liked a few smaller wineries . . . Raymond Burr (yes, that Raymond Burr), Rued, and Pedroncelli had some very good wines at reasonable prices (mother clone zin for instance).
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDet...third_and.html

That's my golist from TA. Don't miss Pacific Star winery- the world's most beautiful and the best picnic area I know. Get an Anderson Co map for wineries- don't miss Lazy Creek...go VERY slow, it's a tiny mailbox and an old garage. But the Pinots...YUM. Also Roederer for elegance and great sparkling wine. As you pass through Philo, stop at Libby's for THE BEST TexMex . Authentic down to the whole family cooking, bussing, etc ..people drive for miles to eat there.
http://www.andersonvalley.org/Eateries.htm#libbysanchor
Take a look at the Blue Heron above the Moosse Cafe...a cheaper option. Great restaurant, too. I would not stay in Ft Bragg. It has none of the charm of Mendocino. Nothing better than waking up early, grabbing a cup of java at Moody's then taking a long walk on the headlands with the waves crashing and the world waking.