Anchorage in December

Search

Anchorage in December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anchorage in December

We have to visit Anchorage area (wasilla) for a family event in December. We have been to AK before - in the summer - what should we expect in December? What outdoor activities are popular? What can we do with our kids - 5 & 10? Is a trip to Denali worth it? I know the road in is closed, what about snow machines into the park?
My husband says we'll just go up for the event then home, I'd like to travel a bit...the kids have never been before - and have never seen mountains!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Remember, you will only average approx 4 hours of daylight that time of year, and it will be very, very cold.
A lot of the parks, as well as the day cruises will be closed.
You could make the best of it and stay at a nice lodge or inn and enjoy the fire, etc. or you could just go to the family event and then plan to come back another time when the weather is nicer. We went the last week in May, and the weather, tourism, etc. was perfect.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM

There is lots to do in the winter.

There is skiing at Alyeska. There is snowshoeing, dogsledding, snowmobiling, cruise Prince William Sound, heli-skiing, sightseeing by air. You can fly to Denali & Mt McKinley, fly over prince William Sound, take a flying tour over the glaciers.

And there is plenty of sunlight. When I was skiing there several years ago we skied all day (9 am - 4:30 pm) just like we would have in Colorado.

When we were there (at the end of January 2002) it was warmer in Anchorage than it was back home in Chicago! Of course by warm I mean between 0 and 30 F.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Cheribob, thanks - I'm in Chicago too so the cold is not really an issue. The daylight is - I don't know how AK residents can stand it. The days are shortening now and it's bothering me!

I think we'll go skiing one day and travel up to Denali - just to see the mountain another(weather permitting). My kids first skiing experience may be in Alaska - cool...

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM

for clairfication, there is no snowmobiling in Denali park, and you can clearly see McKinley way south, so I would not be going all the way there just to see the mt. Talkeetna is far enough. You are going at the shortest days of the year, be sure to be on the lookout for northern lights.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Budgetqueen, Thanks for the tips - I am excited about the possibility of seeing the Northern Lights! Have also been to Talkeetna and loved it - but had forgotten about it. I remember when we were last there 9 years ago there was a big debate raging about snow machines in the Park. I am gratified to hear that it is not permitted.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Skiing in December is iffy, even in AK. Could be good but can be awful.

Since Alyeska starts at nearly sea level there are still days in December when the conditions are more wet than white ...
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:29 AM

I agree, Denali is nice late spring through early fall, but not worth the trip from Anchorage in the winter. Alyeska downhill skiing, snowshoeing, or cross country skiing may be enjoyable. Hanging out in the Alyeska hotel or nearby bed/breakfasts may be fun. Cross country skiing or sledding is fun at Kincaid Park, in Anchorage. You may want to check the Anchorage calendars to see if there's any special events happening at that time. I probably wouldn't want to do a lot of long distance driving (i.e. 2 hours or more) due to the road conditions and short daylight hours. Indoor activities, the museum, shows at the PAC. Check with the railroad, they have some limited special events during the winter like the Holiday express train.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:38 AM

Look in the visitor's guide for some winter ideas. There is outdoor ice skating at Westchester Lagoon downtown and also ice fishing at places like Jewell Lake. Unique things for your kids?

http://www.anchorage.net/629.cfm