Search

Anchorage hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anchorage hotels

Has anyone stayed at either Clarion Suites or Hawthorn Suites in Anchorage? They both have 2 for 1 coupon in toursaver book.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I used to live in Alaska and work frequently took me to Anchorage. It's been a few yaers, but I stayed at both places. Both are fine. At that time both offered contintental breakfasts. The Clarion is located in downtown Anchorage, the Hawthorn is in what is called midtown, however, there are lots of restaurants and stuff within walking distance in the midtown area as well. Hawthorn closer to airport if that is an issue. You really need a car to get around Anchorage, taxis are pretty expensive as Anchorage is spread out. I think both places are fairly similar.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Hawthorn Suites are on the Park Strip in downtown Anchorage, not "midtown" which is more like the Tudor Rd. area. Last time we stayed there they offered a full breakfast. I think the location is quite acceptable, but would agree that a car in Anchorage is useful. Try Priceline for car rentals - usually you can undercut the majors by 50%+.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Actually, BrendaM and Gardyloo are both a just a little bit off:

Yes, a hotel on the Park Strip is considered downtown, but the Midtown area basically centers around the Northern Lights/Benson Blvd strips. Tudor is at best the south fringe of Midtown, but it's kind of a stretch because most businesses considered Midtown are a ways north. The Hampton is near Tudor ... perhaps there's been some confustions between Hampton and Hawthorn.

I haven't stayed in any of them, but the Clarion or Hawthorne locations are definitely better than the Hampton's.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

The address for Hawthorn Suites is 1110 W. 8th and the Clarion is 325 W. 8th. Are these within walking distance of downtown?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM

How about the Fairfield Inn? Can someone tell me about location, breakfast, quality of rooms, staff and any personal experiences you had? Thank you
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:31 PM

maryv,
It's a pretty easy walk downtown. Fourth and Fifth avenues are the heart of downtown and so it's just three or four blocks, including a stroll across the Park Strip.