Anchorage, Fairbanks,Skagway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like any information on things to see and do in these cities in June 2004. Will have wheels but only have 2 days in each locale.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:22 PM

Skagway: the National Park Service exhibits and walking tour; Corrington Museum; City Hall Museum; White Pass & Yukon RR trip

Juneau: State ofAlaska Museum; Mt Roberts Tram and hiking; Mendenhall Glacier, Douglas-Juneau City Museum; State Capitol

Anchorage: Museum of Art & History; Earthquake Park; Native Heritage Center
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:41 PM

Maybe abram's using the wrong third city -- Juneau instead of Fairbanks was deliberate. I'm not sure how or why you set your itinerary but I'd scrap Fairbanks if that's all the time you have in Alaska.

And we really need more information about your interests to tell you what to see or do.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:59 PM

I must have been having a synapse lapse.

In Fairbanks, I'd recommend the U. of Alaska Museum, and the Riverboat Discovery trip.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 03:39 AM

There is plenty to do in all three. Most helpful will be for your to request each city's visitor guide. Loaded with information. I like to avoid the "tourist traps" myself and get off the beaten path. Just so much to explore. As for the Skagway reference- the National Park service visitor center should be your first stop, as should all the city visitor centers for the latest conditions etc. I know each extremely well with many trips.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Abram and Patrick.
We want to see the historical areas of Alaska and Yukon as well as the most scenic. Have a cruise-organized trip to Fairbanks, but we plan to leave there by automobile and see as much of Dawson City, Whitehorse and Skagway that we can get to in a short time.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Have a cruise-organized trip to Fairbanks, but we plan to leave there by automobile and see as much of Dawson City, Whitehorse and Skagway that we can get to in a short time.

I would cancel any cruise tour and go on your own. You will see twice as much for half the cost. Significant difference in Denali Park- allow time to get deep into the park for supurb wildlife viewing and consider skipping the costly tour buses and head for the shuttles- my min. distance in is Eielson- none of the tours go that far. As for Dawson City- few if any rental agencies will allow you to drive there on the unpaved roads. I like to fly there myself. Look into Airnorth. In my opinion the Fairbanks- Whitehorse drive is one of the least scenic. Why not consider heading up to Whitehorse when your cruise is in Skagway???? Makes much better use of time, rather than driving back from Fairbanks. Easy 125 mile drive that fits nicely into a day trip with usually a long port day in Skagway. Rent from Avis- only major or, Sourdough rentals or PB cruisers. Very nice day loaded with lot's of opportunities. Be certain to get a copy of THE MILEPOST, try your library, if buying a copy, don't until March when the new issues come out.