Anaheim To LA Downtown

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anaheim To LA Downtown

Is there a public transport option to get from the Arrowhead Pond to LA Downtown (near the Staples Center)at about 11pm on a weekday or am i resigned to hiring a cab?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM

Um, in a word? No. Oh, I'm sure you could probably do this with the Metro or buses, but it would take you most of the evening to do this.

And you really, really don't want to take a cab! Well, unless you have money to burn. I'm not sure why you need to get from the Pond to Downtown (unless for a sporting event??), but to do this you would really need to rent a car.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:56 PM

Unless you're going to a specific place where you can walk in the door from your transport, I'd be a bit concerned about being dropped off near the Staples Center about midnight (1 hour from an 11:00 pm departure from Anaheim).

The area around Staples Center is not the worst past of LA but it is certainly not the best, either.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:01 PM
lvk

You might be in luck. Both Metrolink & Amtrak run trains from Anaheim station (on Katella, not far from the Pond) to Union Station in downtown LA. You can then cab it to the Staples Ctr. Area. I'm not sure about your choices that late at night, though. Check Metrolinktrains.com or Amtrak web sites for more info.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
lvk

Just checked Amtrak - there's a train from Anaheim to Union Station at 11:15pm. It says it takes 47 minutes and is $8.50. Add about $10 more for cab ride from the Station to Figueroa, and I'd say that's a great deal!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Yeah I may have a wrestling event to attend at the Arrowhead Pond in april and have to make my way back to The Ritz Milner Hotel when its finishes about 10.30pm. I may have to book a budget hotel near the Pond for a night if Im faced with a lengthy public transport journey or extortionate cab fees.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Just got your message IVK-the amtrak option sounds perfect and within my budget
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:26 PM

OK need to fill in some blanks here -- How were you planning to get around during the rest of your trip?

If you are going to s sporting event in Anaheim, wouldn't it be better to stay in Anaheim?? And even if you do take the Amtrak option - you won't be getting to your hotel untill well after midnight. Not something I'd look forward to in downtown LA.

If you also have events in LA and want to stay there -- think about splitting your trip bewteen the two - a night or 2 in Anaheim and then to LA.

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Ive got two other wrestling events at the staples center on consecutive nights in april and a lakers basketball game to go to as well so i chose the ritz milner hotel because of its close proximity to the staples center.
The rest of the trip I was gonna use the metro, buses and hotel shuttles to get around LA because I cant drive anyway. I know it will be time consuming but thats just the way it is unfortunately
Ive just checked the Amtrak website and there's no 11.15pm departure to LA from Anaheim-in fact the last train leaves at 8.04pm on a weekday.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:21 PM

Well, since you're talking a distance of 33 miles, none of this should be surprising. I would skip the Pond event, honestly. You will find the downtown LA area beyond Staples Center quite challenging vis-à-vis entertainment options without spending a good deal of money, so save your pennies that evening and get a nice meal and/or see a show at the Music Center.