Anaheim

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Anaheim

We are taking our kids and grandkids to Anaheim/Disneyland for a holiday and our daughter will be turning 30. We want to go out for dinner at a special place to celebrate her birthday(with grandkids) and need some ideas on where to go.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM

If you're staying at a hotel, you may want to call and ask them if there's any place they'd recommend.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM

If you're going to have admission passes for everyone to the Disney Parks, and want a sit down restaurant, either Blue Bayou in Disneyland, or the Vineyard Room in California Adventure. They are more on the formal side but know how to handle children, obviously. If price is not an issue, Napa Rose inside the Grand Californian Hotel is fabulous.

If you think you might want a more casual experience, the character brunches are actually fun. All three Disney hotels have them.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM

What is your budget? Do you want to drive to a place?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:24 PM

There are also some very good restaurants in Downtown Disney.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:27 PM

w/o a budget it is really hard to give a useful recommendation.

But for up-scale the Napa Rose is wonderful.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM

I remember the ride "pirates of the caribbean" starts/ends in a floating restaurant with candles, very romantic.

Anybody knows the name of it? I forgot!
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM

^^ Blue Bayou ^^
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

We will have a vehicle and don't mind driving somewhere. We don't want to do the dinner in Disneyland, we will be spending enough time there with the kids.A restaurant that is unique to California or has a great view and in the moderate price range. Thank you.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM

It will be a little drive.. but we like to take out of town guests here -Click here: Las Brisas Official Website
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM

If you don't mind a theme restaurant, there is a new one in Buena Park, Ca. It's close to Anaheim. It's called Pirates Dinner Adventure. They do have a website that gives you more informaion. At downtown Disney, there is a RainForest Cafe which is nice.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I would not eat at the Rainforest cafe for my daughter's 10th birthday - let alone my daughter's 30th.
The food is horrid and the service consistently poor. jmo.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

I agree with the post about the Rainforest Cafe. We had one in Vancouver and it closed because the food was so bad. I still have yet to find something I am absolutely sold on, the Pirate Adventure sounds a little gimicky but the kids would love it so who knows. Thanks to everyone for their posts.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Medieval Times - it's dinner and show. Food is average but the show is worth seeing. Prior to the dinner/show, you can wander around the medieval castle and check out the horses. It's on Beach Blvd in Buena Park about 10 mins from Disneyland.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM

forgot to add, if you're going the exact day of your daughter's birthday, there is a coupon on b-day celebrant gets in for free with one paying guest. some hotels have this coupon in their lobby where they have brochures on local attractions.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:27 AM

I should mention that the last time I went to the RainForest was 4 years ago and the food was okay. Who knows what happens in 4 years. It probably went down hill after that. Sorry about that recommendation. The Pirate place use to be Buffalo Bill's Wild West show and it didn't last very long I guess. Yes, they are all very touristy but they are in the Disney area so that is to be expected.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Hi Canuckbc-

For a great view of the ocean, you're going to want to head to Laguna, Newport or Corona del Mar.

Newport has a Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs and California Pizza Kitchen in Fashion Island (local mall that overlooks the ocean), but you may want something more unique to So Cal.

Las Brisas in Laguna Beach has great views of the water, but frankly, I think the food is overrated. Also, the last time i went (which was a few years ago), it felt a bit worn to me.

I'd go somewhere else - perhaps the Beach House (good views, not bad food - but sit on the outside patio) or Splashes, which is the restaurant at the Surf and Sand Resort (great view, good food) http://www.surfandsandresort.com/dining.htm

I also like Bandera just south of Fashion Island in Corona del Mar. http://www.yelp.com/biz/vgxOLfGMou_kaxAEU9VBTA No view, but very good food and great atmosphere.

Finally, if being near the ocean isn't important, then you may want to look at Orange Hill (http://www.theorangehillrestaurant.com). I've never been, but have heard some very good things. It's on the top of a hill a bit closer to Disney and if you click on the link you can see pictures of the amazing views.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM

I took my Mom to Splashes for her 60th birthday (at the Surf and Sand) and should have choosen "the Loft" at the Montage - the service was truly horrible and the food was too. I have dined there before and found it to be good...
I do not know that the Loft is a good choice with children though; which is why I did not suggest it.
I like your advice on the Beach House...
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM

I suggested "the Loft" and actually meant to suggest "The Studio" sorry for the confusion..but again, it does not seem to be very child friendly and it is very expensive - but only you can make that call.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Pomme949 came up with some great suggestions and even hit on one that I was thinking of - Orange Hill Restaurant! Great place.

However, I'm thinking if you have kids, and not sure how big your party might be, Orange Hill might be a bit pricey. (Though it is lovely) There is another restaurante, Orange County Mining Company, that is in the same location as Orange Hill with the same views and costs much less. It may not have the elegant feel of Orange Hill - it has more of a western feel to it. But the food (mostly steaks and seafood) is very good and I'm thinking it might be more kid-friendly if the youngsters are younger. If you do decide on this, do call for reservations and tell them it is a birthday and that you would like a window with a view. Sunset (or close to it) is simply gorgeous! Granted, you aren't near the water, but the view goes on forever and at sunset it can be unbelievable! (Web site: http://www.orangecountyminingco.com/index.htm)