An inexpensive hotel room in Seattle not using Priceline or Hotwire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a cheap room in Seattle. Because I need a room with two beds I'm hesitant about using a bidding service. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Karen
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 09:48 AM

In the same situation often re: needing 2 beds and not wanting to risk a smoking room (and heading to Seattle soon myself). If you use Orbitz or Travelocity to locate the cheaper hotels -- both in the sense of finding out what they are and WHERE they are (not out in Tacoma, e.g.) -- you can then go to the website for the particular chain or individual hotel and see what the best rate you can come up with might be. If you don't belong to AAA, it's worth joining for the discounts a lot of hotels offer -- may only be 5-10% but it helps.

I've done this successfully with Marriott chain, Holiday (6 Continents) chain, Wyndham, even Hyatt. In Seattle, it's often much cheaper on the weekend than during the week -- a "business" destination.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 09:49 AM

PS: on the hotel chain home page, look for "special deals" or "packages" or "hot news" or some such flag -- those rates might not come up under regular "make a reservation" process.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:03 AM

I know you don't want to use Priceline or Hotwire but...consider this first:

It is possible to maximize your odds of getting a non-smoking room with two beds using the hotel list (for Priceline hotels) on BiddingForTravel.
If the hotels coming up in the region for which you are bidding tend to be larger chain hotels, you are very likely to get a hotel that can offer you two beds.

On a trip last summer, I got four Priceline hotels and did need two beds/non-smoking. I got two Hiltons, a Marriott, and a Holiday Inn, and I was able to get two bed/NS in all of them. I made most of these bookings last minute, but I always called the hotel directly soon after making the reservation to set my preferences to be 2B/NS. I NEVER wait until I arrive to ask about my preferences.

In Seattle last month, I got a Best Western for $30 (free parking!) at Seattle Center. I was alone but the room had two beds. FYI.

You can think of this this way: you could risk bidding for one room; keep your maximum low. If you get your room and they cannot guarantee you two beds, you can book a 2nd room at the same hotel on your own. Won't the total cost of two rooms (one cheap, one "regular price") be no more than booking a single room at "regular" prices?

In fact, you could make the 2nd reservation on a "cancel by 4PM" basis. If you show up and get two beds, just cancel the 2nd reservation.

Andrew
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Er...forget the "two rooms" idea in the msg above. Didn't think that one through - I guess I was half-thinking you'd need two rooms no matter what, but you'd like one room. Sorry.

Still think it's a reasonably good risk of getting two beds if you are bidding in an area known to have big hotels that offer many two-bed rooms. Sometimes in downtown areas you get these botique hotels that have only one bed. That's where BFT helps - at least for Priceline.

Andrew
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:20 AM

I like using quikbook.com. They tell you the type of room you'll get, and you can get guaranteed non-smoking. I've gotten good rates there, probably not as good as you would with priceline/hotline, but you trade of the certainty of getting what/where you want. Good luck.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Aren't there a lot of cheap motels on Aurora Avenue. That was the busy street before Interstate 5 was built. I think some of them may have closed.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 03:34 PM

I've had great luck with www.expedia.com.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:06 AM

Oh my gosh please don't even consider staying on Aurora! That is a terrible part of town, especially after dark.

I agree with what Andrew said about Priceline. But have also used quickbook and orbitz. Might want to check out some inexpensive hotel chains' websites also.

Seattle isn't known for cheap hotels and I'm not sure exactly what your price range is.

Wendy
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:32 AM

There is a hotel called the Wall Street Inn, you can get a room for just a little over a hundred depending on time of year. It is very nice and you get lots of extras with out the extra price. It is in a great location, the owners are very friendly and you will have all the privacy you need. www.wallstreetinn.com
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:57 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Not downtown, but the Travelodge in the University District is across from the very upscale University Village shopping center (Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn etc.) and has bus service to downtown at the door. The U of W is right behind it. Their rates are around $60 a day. Basic motel stuff, but not a bad location at all. http://www.seattleuniversityhotel.com/#