Amtrak Stations South of D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be visiting friends who live in the Maryland suburbs (Waldorf area). Coming from New York, what Amtrak station is the most convenient for that area?

Thanks!

(Yes, I've visited the Amtrak website and it's not particularly helpful.)
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM

How are you getting to Waldorf? If somebody's picking you up, then I'll take New Carroltton, which is close to the Beltway (I-495).

If you need public transportation, then I don't know.

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Someone will be picking me up in a car on a weekday in the early afternoon.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Oh, keep in mind that Acela Express trains do not stop at New Carrollton (sorry for typo in my last post) on weekdays. They do on weekends, as well as any non-Acela Express trains.

If you're taking the AE on weekdays, the only station that makes sense is Washington Union station.

I've never gotten on/off the train at New Carrollton, but it's just inside the junction of I-495 (Beltway) and US50. It's address is 4300 Garden City Drive, MD 20785. Use mapquest to get the map for your friend. It's much more easier for pickup than Union Station, in my opinion.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks! Once I've picked my train, I'll definitely see if it stops at New Carrollton. Otherwise, I guess it's Union Station.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM

If your train does not stop at New Carrollton, but it's a weekday, you might be able to get off Amtrak at Baltimore or BWI and use the MARC commuter train (Penn Line) which will stop at NC before Union Station. You could "backtrack" from Union Station as well on MARC.

If you're not carrying too much luggage, take Metro. Take Red Line at Union Station towards Shady Grove, change to Orange Line towards NC. Check with your friend if Camp Springs MD is an easier place to pick you up (might be!) .. if so, instead of changing to Orange Line, change to Green Line to Branch Avenue.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:39 PM

I think if you don't have much luggage, and don't mind exploring the DC Metro, you can definitely take the Red Line from Union Station to Gallery Place/Chinatown, then switch to the Green line all the way out to Branch Ave.

Branch Ave is Rte 5, the main road to go down to Waldorf. But you're going to add a lot of time to your journey, as it takes about 25 minutes on the Green Line from Gallery Pl/Chinatown to Branch Ave, and add the few minutes from Union Station plus transfer...