Search

amtrak/penn station

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amtrak/penn station

We're planning a trip in Dec. to NYC by Amtrak from Boston. First time there, are there nice hotels within walking distance of Penn station? Will we be far from many tourist wannado's? Or should we opt for Newark and take the train in for the day from there? I've read on the posts that NYC hotels are very high right now and thats if you can get a rsvn. thanks for the help. Alehar
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 09:11 PM

It's very late to be trying to find something reasonably priced in NYC for December. Staying near Penn Station is not realy that important since it you can connect to subways or a taxi. I would worry more about finding someplace to stay.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:36 AM

It is much more interesting/exciting and convenient to stay in Manhattan IF you can find anything at this late date. Find something TODAY - and don;t expect any bargains.

Do not stay near Penn Station - this is a dreary area and not really near much you want to see/do. Also - there are several ghastly hotels nearby (Pensylvania, New Yorker) you DO NOT want to stay in. You're much better off looking for something downtown or on the upper west side (midtown will be the most mobbed at this point).

Staying in Jersey is a possibility - although Newark is certainly not the most pleasant area - but the traveling back and forth can range from tedious to incredibly time-consuming depending on exactly where you stay. (There are other nearby areas in Jersey that are less unpleasant - but travel can be even worse.)

If there are only two of you you might try Priceline in Manhattan (to see if there are any rooms released at the last minute) - other than that, simply search all of the various engines and hotel web sites and hope for the best.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your input. Given the $$ of rooms and availablity we will probably opt for better planning post holiday season. I just didn't realize how busy the city can be this time of year?? appreciate your responses. alehar
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Check for any deals on travelzoo.com Their were some decent offers (relatively speaking) but they may be gone. The Carlton Hotel on Madison Ave. was running some specials for $179. It's newly renovated. Best prices were from 12/18 and after.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:34 AM

The nice thing about arriving at Penn Station is you have easy access to most parts of the city, because there are two major subway lines with stops there. I would agree with finding another place to stay.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:50 PM

There are many more than two subway lines in Penn Station -- 1, 2, 3, A, C, E.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Michelle, you're right- I should have been more specific. I was referring to two as in the red line (1,2,3) and the blue line (A,C,E) which go in the same general direction for most of Manhattan.

Sorry for the confusion!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Tarheels -

NYC subwaylines are NOT desinated by color. You need to refer ONLY to the specific letter or number of the train you want.

(Although more than one line runs on the same track in parts of Manhattan - once you get further uptown or downtown - or into the outer boroughs - they go completely different directions - and if you try to follow the colors you could end up 20 miles from where you want to be.)
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:23 AM

I surrender, I surrender! =)

I was trying to mince words and keep things simple for our OP, since she is just looking for general advice rather than actual directions- but you're right. When looking for directions, you should specify a number only.